Question Quick Intake Grate Question

I have my shoe off for sealing and I matched it up to my grate. With my 1200 grate, the rear of the grate sits very close to flush with the shoe, but it does protrude ever so slightly. With my 800 grate, it protrudes even more.

Is this normal? How should the rear of the grate sit in the shoe? Slightly recessed, flush, or slightly protruding?

If it needs to be recessed, should I grind on the mounting surface or the oustide surface?

Thanks guys.

Yes, its normal. I like mine sitting flush. Grind on the outside surface then sand it smooth. Also match the rear of the grate on the inside surface to the pump shoe so the water can make a smooth transition into the pump tunnel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    Yes, its normal. I like mine sitting flush. Grind on the outside surface then sand it smooth. Also match the rear of the grate on the inside surface to the pump shoe so the water can make a smooth transition into the pump tunnel.

Ok I'll grind the grate down and get it fitting flush with the shoe then. On the rear of the grate where it mates to the shoe on the inside surface, the shoe's edges sits slightly higher than the grate does. Would it be safe to blend the shoe's slightly higher edges to the grate?

+1
    So your saying if your intake grate, looking from the back of the ski through the pump tunnel, sits higher than the pump shoe, grind that down to match the pump shoe? I thought everyone said not to do that. Maybe I am at a loss on this.
    SHOOTER

Yes, grind the grate and or the pump shoe so the match up on the inside for a smooth transition.

Just like in the first post of this thread.>>> http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16309

Its easier to do when the shoe is removed but It can be done with the shoe in place. Thats how I did it.

Thread Information