Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie with question on GP1200

Hello,

Im new here and kinda new to the PWC world. A few of my friends have them but i really never got into owning one until now. I just looked at a 1999 GP 1200 that sounded great, had a real clean engine and was maintained at the dealer every season, I saw the paperwork. I am going to test it in the water this weekend before i buy it, i was just wondering if there is anything i should look for while testing it and looking at it again. And how much do you think a almost mint 1999 GP1200 with 103 hours on it should cost? Thanks for all the help in advance.

Tim
    Last edited by Hockey369; 06-07-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Smile

No idea of cost from here, but at those hours the carbs need a re-build.

It's no 'big deal', but the ski can go lean and seize a good engine.

You will find if it's stock it will porpoise, as they all do, but they are a great fun ski and reliable if looked after. Good luck.

I forgot to mention, he said the carbs were rebuilt and new plugs were put in, all done by the dealer this week to get ready for this summer. Thanks
    Last edited by Hockey369; 06-07-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey369 View Post
    I forgot to mention, he said the carbs were rebuilt and he put new plugs in all done by the dealing this week to get ready for this summer. Thanks
    Here's my experience when dealing with the dealer=

All the more reason to have someone who knows what they're doing check the ski out for you, don't trust that those guys really know what to look for and at any rate anyone can change a set of plugs and a battery on just about anything unless your talking about foreign cars like a VW Passat..lol forget the last part that was my bad...

Have the carbs looked at again by someone reputable and it wouldn't hurt to check the compression on the motor either, look for any obvious things such as issues with the hull..cracks etc....check all the hoses and lines make sure you don't have any obvious leaks etc....

Dave

Pull the front bucket out and look for hairline cracks in the front hull. Many had problems of cracking when jumping big waves. (This was the reason I sold mine) If the dealer had it, talk to the service guys. Ask what they did and if there was any hull damage. Most will be honest, unlike the salesman.

A primer kit is highly recommended on these for easier starting.

Like mentioned above, take a compression gauge with you.

Check take off from all speeds. When done riding, check inside for water. Also check impeller for any rock damage.

This is a great ski for wave jumping and turning. Many times I wish I still had mine.

Oh, and make sure the flush kit adapter and tools are still in the ski.

Thanks for all the great info. I know the flush adapter is still there because he used it to start the ski for me when i was there. I know the shop where he took it to, its not to far from my house. I'll swing up there and ask a few questions, there all nice guys up there, and he also told me the ski never been in salt water but i will still look for cracks in the hull. Thanks! Also, what should the compression be at so i know its in the ball park?
    Last edited by Hockey369; 06-08-2007 at 09:16 AM.

+1
    Compression should be 120-125 with a fully charged battery.

Thanks for all the good info. I bought the ski after I tested it out on sunday! The ski is alot of fun and turns real well thanks to Riva sponsons. I noticed it seemed a little lackin in the hole shot area and i wasnt sure if there were any mods that doesnt require much engine work or more then $500 to improve the performace in this area. Thanks!

+1
    The GP1200 is known for its great holeshot. I don't know what you are comparing it to, but I have never heard a complaint about the GP1200 holeshot. Is the pump cavitating? Is it bogging or falling on its face when you pull the throttle out of the hole?

The only othere ski I've riden recently was my buddy's 06RXP. When i rode it, it was the first time the ski was in the water this year, maybe the old fuel had something to do with it cuz it sputtered alittle a WOT near the top end. I just wasnt sure if there were any mods that i should look to be doing in the near future to make my stock ski a bit faster. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information