Question RPM for 1996 SL900 Triple

Can anyone help me with what RPM a SL 900 should run at?

On a side note, if it is under RPM and the spark on all 3 cylinders is good, could it be bad reeds or reed cages??? Anything else that could be wrong?

Thanks for the help!

+1
    How many RPM's are you running?

pretty sure you should be around 6500 maybe a little less, or a little more, I cant quite remember what the 900 runs, someone else will chime in.

It is running around 5700 max and isn't hitting more than high 40 MPH. It is like it is running on only 2 cylinders.

I am wondering if it is something to do with the reeds/reed cages or does it need a carb re-build???

What do the plugs look like?

plugs are good... one other thing. It was running well at first and then it dropped down to around 5700 RPM... it only kicked back to full RPM after that once for 1 rip across the lake and it hasn't run at max RPM since! That will probably muddy the situation a bit! lol

If I remember correctly my 97 SL900 runs around 6500 rpm + or - some depending on the water. I'll check again Saturday.

cool... thanks

Sounds like mine did when the stator crapped out. Spark would randomly drop out of one cylinder. Mine turned around 6400rpm. Run it with a spark tester inline, and you'll see which one is the culprit. The spark should be "blue", not orange. For me, it was the MAG that was weak/dropping out. I kept fighting with the carbs, but it was the electrical the whole time. If it's a 96 with the original stator, its either dead or dying.

Cool call Polarisnut!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Sounds like mine did when the stator crapped out. Spark would randomly drop out of one cylinder. Mine turned around 6400rpm. Run it with a spark tester inline, and you'll see which one is the culprit. The spark should be "blue", not orange. For me, it was the MAG that was weak/dropping out. I kept fighting with the carbs, but it was the electrical the whole time. If it's a 96 with the original stator, its either dead or dying.
    I was at the lake last week and tested the stator... you were correct... stator is shot!

Thread Information