Exclamation 02 Virage TXi Backfire

Okay, here goes.....

Have an 02 TXi that I have had since new. No problems up until this season. Winterized it last year and took the battery out. Would die sometimes towards the end of last season. Got it out this season, put in a fully charged new battery and was cranking the motor and it backfired through the exhause bad enough to blow out the baffles/resonators on both sides. Ears are still ringing from that one! Took it back to the dealer that I bought it from and they put it on the computer. NO CODES! Checked the firing of the injectors, spark plugs, etc. to no avail. Talked to the mechanic and explained what it was doing late last season. Checked the fuel pump pressure and it was only putting out 2-3 psi should be 20-30. Replaced the fuel pump myself ($366) and replaced the baffles/resontators and went to start it and it backfired again. Supposedly the dealer looked at the top dead center of the piston versus the crankcase position sensor. Said that it was okay, so the shear pin must not be sheared. Now I am wits end. Going on vacation and replaced it with a new Honda F-12X. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone know what the Crankcase Position Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor are supposed Ohm out at? Going to fix it up and sell it!

+1
    sammer, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

A back-fire indicates you have 2 things, fuel and spark.
    It doesn't make sense that you only had 2 pounds, but whatever.
    USUALLY when you get a backfire it's a timing issue and in this case I have a feeling you have a weak battery, new or not.
    We've seen this a zillion times, guy buys cheap battery, battery doesn't charge well and boom.
    I would suggest checking what the voltage drops to while cranking, what do you get? Under 10.6 battery issue or possibly a ground issue.

The battery was new and when cranking had it on a shop battery charger cranking at 12 volts continuous. The battery is good. Not cheap. Bought a good sealed unit from a battery store, not Walmart. Been there done that! I am suspecting that it is the flywheel key even though the dealer said that it was okay on the alignment. I didn't look for myself. Or, the CPS. Going to check it out when I get back from 10 days at the lake.

Also, after taking out the original pump, found out what was wrong with it to only get 2-3 psi. The pressure relief valve had fallen off the top of the pump assembly and the system could not build up any pressure. Took the pump out of the unit and applied 12 volts and it squirted gas about 30 feet. The pump wasn't bad just the pressure relief valve. Wasn't comfortable just sticking it back together. Out the tank out and just replaced with the new one. What a bit*h of a task that was!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sammer77 View Post
    Also, after taking out the original pump, found out what was wrong with it to only get 2-3 psi. The pressure relief valve had fallen off the top of the pump assembly and the system could not build up any pressure. Took the pump out of the unit and applied 12 volts and it squirted gas about 30 feet. The pump wasn't bad just the pressure relief valve. Wasn't comfortable just sticking it back together. Out the tank out and just replaced with the new one. What a bit*h of a task that was!
    LOL It is a little tricky.

O.K. If you're sure the battery is good and no problem with ground it's should be timing related, no wires were touched in the box?
    have you checked for shorted or schaffed wires going from the stator to the box?
    Have you verified crank index?

Quote Originally Posted by sammer77 View Post
    Anyone know what the Crankcase Position Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor are supposed Ohm out at? Going to fix it up and sell it!
    This info is in the tech section. Post # 13

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=15437&page=2

Thread Information