Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Need opinions on ride plates

Maybe some of you have seen my post about my 1050 maybe not but in short i have a 97 1050 that doesn't seem to be running the mph it should be compared to others. When i bought the ski the stock ride plate was junk, so i bought an OP plate for it. After reading a little more on here some guys claim losing 2-3-4 mph after they installed one of these. Just wondering if this is accurate, and what in your opinion is the best all around ride plate for a good balance of top speed without sacrificing too much handling. I'm thinking of trying to find a stock plate to try to see if my mph comes back, but don't want to waste my money if there is a better option available. I'm more interested in top speed than the best handling. Opinions please.

+1
    Hello, anyone home?

I'd personally modify a Virage batwing plate to make it fit the SL hull. I'm sure it'd be no big deal for you. Trim the sides down and redrill the mounting holes. Some have claimed gains of 1+mph over the stock rideplate. You'll gain handling and speed over the stock flat plate. JetSkiMN has one for sale for $80 I think.

Banned User
    ^^^^What he said^^^^

I've heard stories of the HSP plate with less wedge works well also.
    I got one from Beerdart (I think), and have yet to get a chance to try it.

+1
    I just don't understand the speed loss.
    I know some guys were installing the extended pump adding the OP ride plate and losing top end BUT it's only because they use the impeller that comes with the extended pump and it's NOT the correct pitch for the tiny 750 engine.
    I've swapped from the stock plate, to 3 or 4 other plate with barely a MPH difference between any of them. This is when comparing the short plates to the short plates.
    If you're running the long plate of course you're going to lose speed as you are planting the nose of the craft, that's the reason for the wedge change.

Banned User
    Al, I know you don't like hearing about JOE96XP's boat, but with the OP long plate, and his Price Perf. engine, he lost around 4-5 mph, at least.

+1
    I just don't understand how and would love to know how he's set up. It just doesn't past the sanity test.

Banned User
    Simple:
    Price Performance engine with 88mm slugs, and 68mm stroke.
    FPP SLXH triples.
    I forget what carbs, Buckshots maybe?
    Stock driveline, no manual trim, 4* wedge, OP long plate.

With that plate, the nose parts the water better than Moses himself.

+1
    That's the reason i asked the question was i was getting mixed reviews on whether or not the op plate scrubs top speed or not. I'm at a loss too AL on why i'm down on speed. Just going off Wetherby's setup, the only things that are different between mine and his is my OP rideplate and my shortwing R&D intake grate. I know the R&D will scrub a little,but not 3-4 mph. I read a post somewhere on here that a guy put on the OP plate and lost 3-4 mph i think it was. It wasn't Joe96xp, it was someone else. How accurate that is i don't know. What i want to do is take both of them off and try it totally stock. Then that'll answer my question, problem is my stock rideplate was cashed. I might be able to borrow one and try it. If that doesn't gain me back some mph, i'll be pulling my hair out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Trim the sides down and redrill the mounting holes.
    That's about all it would take? I take it the angles are the same. Might be a good option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information