Thread: Oil

Oil

This is just like the millions of posts on car forums...

What oil do you use?

I was at 2 different Kawasaki dealers today and they both said different things.

One dealer said I must use their Kawasaki 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

The other said just use regular 10w-40 automotive oil.

I agree with the latter.

What do you use?

+1
    This is what quite a few people are using and it is for marine applications.
    This meets/exceeds the Kawi specs.

10W-40 AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Oil http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/wcf

Save up to 35% off retail prices, by becoming a preferred customer.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...n/preferredapp

What would the difference between marine and auto oil be? Just wondering

+1
    While automobile engines normally operate at around 2,500 rpm, outboard motors can run twice as fast, requiring greater levels of wear protection and better bearing durability than automobiles. In addition, prolonged idling and low operating temperatures contribute to fuel dilution, further thinning the oil.

Marine engines are prone to rust, leading to uncontrolled wear and premature engine failure. However, good rust protection is not natural to engine oil.

Marine engines operate under high loads and RPMs for extended periods of time, causing traditional automotive oils to break down and lose viscosity. To ensure good protection, the NMMA set minimum shear stability requirements for FC-W

Hope this helps.

Do you guys carry any non-synthetic oil? I'd like to run regular oil through it for a couple more hours before I switch to synthetic.

Wink

I run Mobil 1 10-40 synth. in my ski and mobil 1 in my motorcycles too.
    Dealers are A-Holes. They are willing to over charge and use scare tactic`s to get you to pay for something you don`t need. At least from them at there high price.
    Buy regular oil from the parts store or wal-mart ETC.
    I buy it at wal-mart. $22.36 for a 5 quart jug. = $4.47 per quart.
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 06-07-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcolog2 View Post
    Do you guys carry any non-synthetic oil? I'd like to run regular oil through it for a couple more hours before I switch to synthetic.
    I use castrol 4T 10-40 petroleum based. It is rated properly per the manual.

What would the difference between marine and auto oil be? Just wondering
    One of the differences is that for 2007 all Automotive oils are now SM rated with the big difference from the older SL rated oils which Kawasaki recommends for the Ultra 250(page 13 of the manual) is the reduction of ZDDP(zinc dialkyl dithiosphosphate). Which is a multi-function, anti-oxidizing,anti-corrosion and anti-wear additive for lubricating oils
    For non roller, flat tappet type cams you need ZDDP as high pressure additive, newer SM spec oils have removed most of the ZDDP because they can damage catalytic converters. While that may not affect the Ultra cams I can't help but think that using a oil with less lubricating ability is not a good idea. And when there are numerous high quality Marine oils available which carry the SL rating there simply not a good reason to not use a SL rated oil.
    Heres a good link to help explain the new oil. http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html Its mainly about Porsche's, but the oil info is good and easy to understand. And if thats not enough you can spend days reading lots of good stuuf in this forum http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...eads.php?Cat=0
    Last edited by turbodave; 06-07-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
    One of the differences is that for 2007 all Automotive oils are now SM rated with the big difference from the older SL rated oils which Kawasaki recommends for the Ultra 250(page 13 of the manual) is the reduction of ZDDP(zinc dialkyl dithiosphosphate). Which is a multi-function, anti-oxidizing,anti-corrosion and anti-wear additive for lubricating oils
    For non roller, flat tappet type cams you need ZDDP as high pressure additive, newer SM spec oils have removed most of the ZDDP because they can damage catalytic converters. While that may not affect the Ultra cams I can't help but think that using a oil with less lubricating ability is not a good idea. And when there are numerous high quality Marine oils available which carry the SL rating there simply not a good reason to not use a SL rated oil.
    Heres a good link to help explain the new oil. http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html Its mainly about Porsche's, but the oil info is good and easy to understand. And if thats not enough you can spend days reading lots of good stuuf in this forum http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...eads.php?Cat=0
    Great info. Thanks for the links.
    After reading that first link.
    I`ll be using Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5-40 from now on. That`s what I run in all my motorcycles too.
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 06-07-2007 at 10:28 PM.

+1

Sorry all we do is Synthetic oil since 1972.

Thread Information