Thread: Motor mounts?

Motor mounts?

I know the stock 4Tec motor mounts are a bit mushy to surpress the vibrations and such. How do you know when a mount breaks?

I can tug on the engine and make it move a bit, tried pulling up the front of engine by hand moves a bit that`s it..

wouldn`t the carbon seal leak like a stuck pig if a motor mount broke?...
    someone tell me ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I know the stock 4Tec motor mounts are a bit mushy to surpress the vibrations and such. How do you know when a mount breaks?

I can tug on the engine and make it move a bit, tried pulling up the front of engine by hand moves a bit that`s it..

someone tell me ...PR...
    Andy, They are just rubber composite and there will be a very slight movement. You'd know if it was broke. Just shine a light on one of them while lifting or shifting the motor and you'd be able to see a crack. That motor would move quite a bit then. You would definately wear that carbon seal out if that drive shaft was banging all over it from a broken mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Andy, They are just rubber composite and there will be a very slight movement. You'd know if it was broke. Just shine a light on one of them while lifting or shifting the motor and you'd be able to see a crack. That motor would move quite a bit then. You would definately wear that carbon seal out if that drive shaft was banging all over it from a broken mount.
    Hi Jay! what do you mean by "very slight"? I could watch it move a bit if I pull up on the front mount...PR...

Hi Jay! what do you mean by "very slight"? I could watch it move a bit if I pull up on the front mount...PR...
    By very slight I mean that if you "REALLY" yank on the engine you should barely see any movement at all. If you see a noticeable amount of movement on any 3 points of the motor mounts, I would check that area. Put your hand on the mount itself and try to feel for a crack, use a small mirror, and shine a light all around them including the hull where it mounts to. You may have a crack and it is not noticable right off.

By very slight I mean that if you "REALLY" yank on the engine you should barely see any movement at all. If you see a noticeable amount of movement on any 3 points of the motor mounts, I would check that area. Put your hand on the mount itself and try to feel for a crack, use a small mirror, and shine a light all around them including the hull where it mounts to. You may have a crack and it is not noticable right off.
    OK, I`ll check after work tomorrow, Thanks Jay! ...PR...

Banned User

someone tell me ...PR...

When mine broke you could pick up on the motor and it would lift up alot.

My carbon seal did fail and the water came in big time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    When mine broke you could pick up on the motor and it would lift up alot.

My carbon seal did fail and the water came in big time!!
    Thanks Alex I checked the front mount for cracks, found none, good!
    I could def not pick the motor up, but do think the mounts are a bit soft...PR...

Banned User
    I was surprised how soft they were.. I can see why the high HP applications we run are to much for the OEM motor mounts. Or better yet, to much to risk! as I found out the hard way!! Nothing worse than a ride back to shore, pulling your sinking jet ski..

what if the carbon seal is wear out?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by pet View Post
    what if the carbon seal is wear out?
    You boat will sink when it fails!!!!

Thread Information