Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

95 polaris sl 750 help

Hello I am new to jet ski's but not to working on small motors (motorcycles and snowmobiles) I purchased a 95 sl 750 on a trailer for 250 dollars. It has been sitting for 3 years due to a failed bearing in the pump housing which trashed the prop and housing. I have parts coming for that. my question is about the motor. I drained all fuel filled with fresh. cleaned the plugs because they all appear to fire fine. 5 cranks of the engine later and she fired right up like she was never put away. It seems to run and idle fine but the cylinder near the rear of the boat stays cold. so i take it that it is getting no fuel. I cleaned the carb that was on that cylinder and the same. I have ordered a new fuel pump because of the issue with this motor running lean and burning up the cylinder by the front of the boat. I do not plan to run it in the water until it is installed. could the fuel pump be my issue for not getting the fuel to the first carb in line? or is there a different issue. I appreciate all help that everyone can give...... by the way all cylinders have compression. enough to blow your thumb off the hole. it also had a rebuild before the previous owner bought it. it has maybe 8 hours on it since the rebuild. I take it the rebuild was due to a hole in the cylinder.

+1
    Scott Welcome to the Hulk.
    Are you running it with a flush kit hooked up?
    If so than the PTO cylinder will run cool as it is the first to get water running (reverse flush). Is the thermostat installed? If not you need to crimp the outlet hose so water will get Thru the engine in the reverse direction.

Yes I am running it with the flush kit hooked up. as far as i know the thermostat is installed. where exactly do i look to see? and if i pull the plug as soon as i shut it off the plug is cold. would this also be because of the water running thru the flush kit?

Are you sure your getting spark to that plug?

positive. if you take it out and set it on the screw on the top it fires like it should

Is that spark plug wet after you run it? Like there is fuel getting in there? After youget your other stuff done, just take it outon the water. You will know if that cylinder is firing, if it isn't your RPM's will be severly limited.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by scottr2200 View Post
    Yes I am running it with the flush kit hooked up. as far as i know the thermostat is installed. where exactly do i look to see? and if i pull the plug as soon as i shut it off the plug is cold. would this also be because of the water running thru the flush kit?
    How long was it running for? If it only ran for a few seconds it can still be cold. Like he asked ^^^^^^^ what the plug wet?

it seems to have more oil on it than anything. it doesn't smell like gas. thats what made me think it was not getting gas. so i cleaned the carb. carb cleaner was coming out of every hole that i sprayed it thru. the longest i ran it for on the flush kit was 5 minutes.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by scottr2200 View Post
    it seems to have more oil on it than anything. it doesn't smell like gas. thats what made me think it was not getting gas. so i cleaned the carb. carb cleaner was coming out of every hole that i sprayed it thru. the longest i ran it for on the flush kit was 5 minutes.
    Are you running premix, or stock oil injection? You should notice if it was missing on that cyl while running. Put it in the water and give it a shot. Check your plugs for proper burn by doing plug chops. A chop is running a short distance (100 yds) at WOT and pulling the lanyard. (killing the engine) Then inspect the plugs for true readings of cyl performance.

I am running oil injection. But i will give that a shot a soon as i install my new triple outlet fuel pump. probably late next week or weekend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information