94 sl750 5500 rpm's

i bought a used 94 sl750 that had some problems and i went through a bunch of stuff and have one problem. all i can get out of it is 5500 rpms. i went through the carbs, cleaned the reed valves, replaced the crank seals, all new gaskets, new pto piston, new rings in the other 2 and honed the cylynders. triple output pump and all new hoses, and new plugs.. i did all this before i put it in the water by the way. added a few ounces of oil to the gas like the manual said. the oil injection is still in place and being used. so i put it in the water and it ran great. went easy for a while and did a good job of breaking it in. the only thing is i can only get 5500 rpms. any ideas on what to check? i have not adjusted anything on the carbs. do i need to adjust them? i was tols at pwctoday that the experts are here.lol

+1
    eamon welcome to the Hulk.
    Have you checked your jet pump?
    Bad bearings,Warped wear ring etc...
    How does the piston wash look.

i guess i haven't even looked at the jet pump. would that rob me of 1000 rpms? i'll have to take a look at it. when i pulled the plugs after 3/4 of a tank of gas the plugs had just a touch of tan like they should so its running nice and clean. when i bought the ski the pto piston had a hole in it and a piece of rtv sealant stuck in the reeds. this was the first time i had it in the water so i don't know if it was lacking rpms before. also when i throttle up slowly it gets to 5500 rpms and i still have a touch of throttle left on the thumb controll. when i nail the throttle it goes right up to 5500 and acts like it is limited there. it does seem like it doesn't come out of a hole shot real quick so i assumed there is some wear in the jet. anything else i can check? top speed right now is 45 mph and my wife is passing me with her sl650 and laughing at me.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Eamon. Check the pump like BD said, and what impeller is in it? If stator vanes are broke, impeller blades are bent, or wear limits are exceeded, you will not get full speed. Also a bigger impeller than stock, may be loading the engine down, keeping RPM low.

thanks guys. you are right. i pulled the pump and the impeller's leading edges are chipped up and might be bent a little. i'm wondering if this explaines the excessive porpusing too. i have 3 polaris pwc's. 2-750 and a 650 and this one porpuses the worst. i guess i'll have to find a good used impeller. if you know of any let me know. thanks.

+1
    PM John Zigler. He has good used stuff, I'm sure he's got an impeller. I doubt it's your porpoising issue. What intake and rideplate is on it compared to the others?

everything is stock on it same as my 650. my other 750 i has a longer ride plate and it helps. i someday should get new ride plates. my impeller is a 5131079. i ride in the mississippi near prarie du chien wisconsin and there is always a lot of boat traffic so its almost always choppy. if we go out in the evening its pretty calm and the only time we can get full speed. i'll try and find a impeller and i think i'm going to send this one to sbt where they claim they will rebuild it for $25. i'll check with john and ebay thanks guys.

+1
    You get what you pay for!!! I think someone tried their $25 impeller and said it was a very bad job, something like the blades were unequal length? That is the final drive of your ski, make sure it's a quality part. Like a race car with cheap tires, it'll do you no good. Shop around my friend.

Thread Information