Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Strongly thinking about 250X

I am about ready to by a Ultra250X. Here is why

1) Im in the Chesapeake Bay and it is rough. I want something that does rough.
    2) I want a quality ski. Im tired of "issues"
    3) I had a SD GTX Limited - 2 blown motors
    4) I have a RXP but here is what happened when riding around. (no I didnt hit anything. ) www.mbscrm.com/RXP
    5) My RXP keeps me wet all the time
    6) I can pay a few extra bucks for quality....

What should I look out for?
    Is this the right ski for me?
    Thanks for your input.
    Mike

+1
    No ski is perfect. Actually for all the years PWC have been manufactured and all the known problems with past models, you would think the common "issues" would be a thing of the past. But they are not. You are already aware of the the issues with SD's. The Ultra is also far from perfect. New issues with it are constantly surfacing. Among them are: defective paint, hoses that come off, sloppy silicone pump sealing, fuel tank pickup that leaves too much gas in tank when "empty", leaky BOV's, Ill fitting hoods, water getting into storage area, engine oil that gets dirty much too quickly, difficult engine access, poor design of gauges, nose heavy ride, wet ride, water leaking into pump bearings. impellers rubbing wear ring, etc, etc. While many of these problems can be fixed easily enough, others are due to engineering and design. Like I previously said, no ski is perfect. I doubt that one ever will be. We have to weigh the pros and cons of what is available and make a decision on what fits our needs best.

Richard

I like mine and am very pleased with its rough water performance. I dare any RXP to ride as well as the Ultra 250 on chop. It has loads of torq and some have already pushed this machine over 70mph with mods. Again it rides great on rough water. Weight+V hull and engine power make it a great rough water machine.The only issue that I know of is it does consume more gas. I rode for 2.5 hours and used 1/2 of a tank on moderate chop so that comes down to 5 to 6 hours on a 18.5 gal useable tank. Could of been better I think. But Iam not looking for a marithon runner.

One thing I cant stand about this board is the trolls. I ve noticed alot of RXP owners jumping in here to bash the Ultra and offering no usefull info since most if not all of them dont own one. So do your research.
    Last edited by TheBaron; 06-08-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Im not a troll. I was brand loyal, but not anymore. I figure its better to ask 250x questions here than in the seadoo forum. I realize that each brand has its strenghts & weaknesses. Im just honestly doing research and really appreciate the feedback.

Is the 250x a wet ride?
    What paint comes off? Gel coat or top paint. As you may guess Im not in the mood for hull issues?
    The sloppy silicone sounds very familiar. Maybe Kaw hired the person who did my RXP ;>)

This time around Im buying the 4 year extra warranty. I want Kaw to have the issues, not me....

Thanks again for your time.

if you are looking for something to ride in rough water then the ultra 250 is way ahead of the competition

you will need to get the pump wedge immediately to get the spray off of your face but then you will be very pleased with it in rough water .(wedge is $25 to $40 bucks depending where you shop and it takes 10 minutes to put on )

i kill rxp's in a 1 to 2 foot chop

as far as reliability it is too soon to tell on the ultra 250 . i have over 50 hrs of hard riding on mine , lots of it in the ocean and i havent had any problems with mine yet

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    fuel tank pickup that leaves too much gas in tank when "empty"

Richard
    thats just a rumor

if you ride the 250 on plane until it runs out of gas it will only have less than 2 gallons of fuel in the tank

i dont think just over a gallon of gas left in the tank is an issue

Quote Originally Posted by xRXPMike View Post
    Im not a troll. I was brand loyal, but not anymore. I figure its better to ask 250x questions here than in the seadoo forum. I realize that each brand has its strenghts & weaknesses. Im just honestly doing research and really appreciate the feedback.

Is the 250x a wet ride?
    What paint comes off? Gel coat or top paint. As you may guess Im not in the mood for hull issues?
    The sloppy silicone sounds very familiar. Maybe Kaw hired the person who did my RXP ;>)

This time around Im buying the 4 year extra warranty. I want Kaw to have the issues, not me....

I wasnt saying your a Troll. You obviously are interested in buying the ULTRA and just wanted some imput. You asked legit questions. I am just saying watch for the Trolls that just want to put the machine down.

Also Iam with you on the warranty. I broke my own rule when I purchased the ultras of not buying a machine its first year out. In few months the 2008's will start comming out and certain bugs will be worked out. All of which are covered under our warrantys.
    Last edited by TheBaron; 06-08-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xRXPMike View Post

Is the 250x a wet ride?

I also was brand loyal, but..... Sea-Doo has had some major problems with the S/C clutch failures. There poor customer service and lack of a proper repair has left me hating a decent ski.
    I bought my 250X due to this problem and love it as an overall replacement for my RXP.
    It`s the best rough (real world) conditions boat. The minor issue`s with paint on the top deck is minimal compared to reliability for me.
    This ski has been very reliable so far.
    I can adjust the hood and seat to fit like It should.
    The pump seal issue is with the intake grate. Not the shoe. A seal kit can be purchased for $89.00 bucks to correct that 100%
    I would buy it again if I had to make that decision. Good Luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GDM View Post
    thats just a rumor

if you ride the 250 on plane until it runs out of gas it will only have less than 2 gallons of fuel in the tank

i dont think just over a gallon of gas left in the tank is an issue

I love mine and have not had any of the problems mentioned on this board. I have never owned a Seadoo so I can't compare it to one. It sticks in a turn like it's on a rail and has awsome acceleration. It does suck gas but I didn't buy it as a long distance cruiser. So far as unusable gas left in the tank, I have run mine down very low and put about 19.5 gallon back in. I don't think it's true that there is several gallons of unusable fuel left in the tank that it won't pick up. Others on this forum have run theirs low and have put a little more in than I did.
    Go ahead, take the plunge and get a RED ONE

I have a 250X and I am extremely happy with it. I am new to the Jet Ski world so I am not sure where mine is compared to others on the market. This is my take:

1. I have about 18 hours on it. No issue that I am aware of.
    2. I live in Austin and I ride it in the Austin lake which is small river and it is very conjested which creates all kinds of rough waters and it plows right through them.

3. Also, I ride it at lake travis and LBJ near by and the same thing.
    4. My only grip is the top end. I expected much more.
    5. IMHO - It rocks out of the hole. I have no mods at all. I am going to have the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information