+1

RXP 2 battery failures, BRP recall rumor?

OK, went out to fire up my 2005 RXP in the barn today prior to pulling the pump and shipping to Skat. Put the battery charger on the battery earlier, registered fully charged, tried to start it, no go. Swapped batteries with a wimpy one from my GPR, fired right up. ??

Part way thru this past summer, my original battery failed. Strange, since I was riding the ski at least twice a week, most weeks. I replaced it with a sealed, 'upgraded' Yuasa sealed cell (not my first choice, but only thing available locally!). Now that one is completely toast ... took it to Auto Zone, they stress tested it, totally trashed.

The guy there also had worked at a BRP dealership and he said that this was a known problem with the RXP (and RXTs??) and that there was a drain on the battery when the skis were not running, which killed the battery. Said the dealerships knew about it and were offering upgraded batteries, and/or a fix.

Shibbs or anybody, is this true? God knows recalls never seem to make it to the ski owners for some insane reason ... but this guy did not know much about our skis (said they were turbocharged ), but I wondered if there was a recall. Anybody else have battery failures or hear about a recall??

Ver: I don`t know about any recall, but I do know that the dess/security system has a small drain on the battery, if you ski is parked for more than 3-4 weeks at a time, it would drain it considerably, I have not yet experienced this, but there has been occasions where I couldn`t go out due to rain/crap weather for 3-4 weeks, and the GTX SC started just fine. I`m looking to up-grade my battery as well, but don`t know which one to get... I hear there is a DEKA Brand battery available for the RXP/RXT/GTX SC...PR...

+1
    Basically the same thing happened to The Rocks ski last summer! He took it to a dealer and they replaced the Rectifier and battery!!!!

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    Same as PR here. I would leave my GTX sit for a long time and come back to start it with no problem. I'm still running on the original battery with no problems. I don't plan on changing it until i see a sign of trouble.

I havent heard any rumours either usually batterry lasts around 4 years all depending how much you use your ski when you winterixe it do you trickle charge it and colder tempertures will kill batteries faster also dont ever let a batterry sit on cement.

it could also you may have a problem with your alternator i don,t remember the real name but i know it is not an alternator

+1
    Thanks for the input guys ... looks like there is not a widespread problem then, but Rendog, did the dealer cover Rock's ski under warranty?

I agree, usually a good battery lasts at least 3 seasons ... in the summer when I am riding it, I usually have no problems, but I only start the ski once or twice a month in the off season, and that is when the battery goes bad, which makes sense. I wil get a good battery tender and connect it quite often, but this is the first ski I have had that completely killed two batteries .... in ONE year. And I do charge them up once a month in the off season .... hmmmmm.

sound like you have a different problem than a battery like something draining your battery or batterry not getting charged.
    cheque with a volt meter or ask your dealer that sure dosen't sound normal.

There were lots of problems with motorcyle batteries when fitted with aftermarket alarms about 5 years ago. Certain alarms did provide a constant drain of around 10mA. Although this is not much of a load in itself, there was something significant about this particular level of current draw having adverse effects. I wasted two batteries on my motorcycle during winter storage. When I removed tha alarm, the problem went away. Having said that, I have had no issues with either a standard 4-TEC or RXT. It may be worth pulling a battery terminal and measuring to see if there is any current draw with everything switched off. Don't ignore even a low reading (like 10mA).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern
    Thanks for the input guys ... looks like there is not a widespread problem then, but Rendog, did the dealer cover Rock's ski under warranty?

I agree, usually a good battery lasts at least 3 seasons ... in the summer when I am riding it, I usually have no problems, but I only start the ski once or twice a month in the off season, and that is when the battery goes bad, which makes sense. I wil get a good battery tender and connect it quite often, but this is the first ski I have had that completely killed two batteries .... in ONE year. And I do charge them up once a month in the off season .... hmmmmm.
    Yes they covered it!!!

Thread Information