Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lost Power on '03 GPR1300...HELP!

Need some expert advice.

2003 GP1300R Stock, premium gas and used Redline synthetic oil

I bought this used about 2 months ago. It ran great for 3 tanks of gas (72mph at 8000rpm).

Suddenly, it lost its balls. I can only get it to go about 55mph and a max of 6000rpm.

Nothing in the impeller area, and it sounds like it runs smooth. Weird! Just didn't have the power on a WOT. I used to hold on tight! Now it's like a kiddie ride.d

Anyways, I had the yamaha dealer (per their recommendation) yank the catalytic converter, install a D-plate, a bypass sensor chip, and a brand new impeller (stock). The spark plugs are brand new, and according to them the compression is great. They also checked a lot of other basic things and said it was ok. One thing they mentioned was that the Redline synthetic oil is bad when you have a CAT installed (it burns too hot for a cat), but now that I have a D-plate, it is fine to use. I did look at the CAT when they yanked it, and it was clear as a bell (no clogging or damage)

So I take it to the lake yesterday and absolutely nothing is different. It still lags. The D-plate, sensor and new impeller did not fix the problem.

Funny thing though: as I was riding yesterday,it started idling a little chunky. Then, we couldn't get it to start. Then all of a sudden I did get it to start and BOOM! it took off like a bat out of hell and hauled ass! Yeehaw! Back to 72 mph (on the speedo at least). But as soon as I started celebrating, the machine died completely. Then when I tried to restart it, it cranked over a WEIRD noise!

After taking it home, I did a quick dry start on the trailer. It started fine and sounded good.

Any help? The machine runs fine on a trailer, but has all these trouble under a load. It does not feel like I'm cavitating. I don't know much about these bikes, but is there perhaps low fuel pressure, or a clog somewhere? Is there a fuel filter or something? I ran some injector cleaner through with no results.

Help!

Stranded with no fun

+1
    Did they look at the power valves ?

+1
    Filters in carbs and an externall filter.
    If its not power valve related I would look at the carbs.
    FS

+1
    Do a compression check.When it died on you,was it like pulling the lanyard or did it just lock up?

Well...

They said compression was within 5 on all 3 cylinders.

As far as the carbs, it's fuel injected

Power valves? I don't know if they tested them.

My feeling is that it's electrical related. When it died, it was sudden. It now idles a liitle weird too. Everything is pretty much beggining to be erratic.

Thanks for your replies.
    Last edited by handybuilder; 06-09-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

+1
    make sure the temp probe is hooked up, its on the stinger with a wire leading to left side of ignition box.....mine ran crazy once and it was unplugged....

+1
    Im not familiar with the Redline oils.Are you sure it was injector oil?
    Redline Racing Oil: injection and premix
    All Sport:does not specify
    Smokeless:does not specify
    Watercraft:does not specify
    Last edited by WATER WOODY; 06-09-2007 at 07:42 PM.

well...

As far as the sensor: since I have a D-plate installed, the normal sensor is abandoned, and now there is a bypass sensor connected to the control panel area.

In terms of Redline Oil: here is the link: http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...3&categoryID=3

I'm surprised that many people on these forums haven't heard of Redline. Here in Northern California, Redline Oil is all the rage for motocross bikes. Gosh, you have me thinking now! No, it's PWC 2 -stroke oil for sure...but maybe look at the ingredients or something.

BTW, could it be my main computer brain? I don't even know what that's called. I'm pretty new at wrenching on these things. I really appreciate all of your replies. Thank you!

+1
    Ive known about redline oils for years now,just never used them.Some oils are not made for injection.That was my question.

+1
    there are two sensors..one on the top of pipe and another at bottom of stinger top side...just make sure they are connected.....my ski runs like yours when i have my efi controller set to stock(1.1.1.1.)....im running 6.6.2.8. on my settings on riva efi box. With your mods you motor is probably wanting fuel at differant points than the stock fuel map is providing. Red line oil is very good, I used it in my blower case on supercharged roadster. I prefer amzoil interceptor oil ,it is an injector oil made for pwc, I doubt its your oil. See if any one in your area has an efi controller box that they will let you borrow for a quick test.It plugs into the harness under the storage bucket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information