New Member / Questions

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are purchasing a lot on a 19 acre man made ski lake. The lot is one of only a few that allow powerboat privilages. The lake is long
    and narrow for the obvious. We have two kids aged 4 & 9. I have owned
    a few boats in the past, but mainly flats fishing boats here on the coast.
    I am looking at some type of boat to put on the lake. Can't decide if I want a jet type or prop. They only allow inboard motors on the lake for
    sound level reasons and no smaller Jet-Ski type of watercraft are allowed.

I have looked at a 180 Challenger and one of the other prop boats like Mastercraft or Ski-Nautique. I like both of the latter, but at $50K+ I don't want to ski that bad. The $20-$25K+/- is the range I would like to be in without buying a used boat.

My questions are-

1. Prop or Jet powered boat? Wanting to just do some mild stuff on ski's and maybe pull a tube for the kids?

2. Opinions on the 07 Challenger 180? What about pulling power, reliability? Also, I understand these are not good around bays or grass areas as they tend to clog the intake? What about re-sale should I decide I don't like it?

3. There is an 06 180 at my local dealer. They have it priced high in my opinion. $19,900.00. It has low hours (about 20) and looks like a nice boat. Some scratches and was mostly run in Salt Water. Talked to the owner and he said it was one of three boats he owned that he sold before he moved. I noticed water standing in the ski storage and a couple of the other storage areas as well. I have seen new 07's being sold at $3K off MSRP, so this seems high to me?

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

Thanks!

If you are ever gona wakeboard.. i mean to wanting to jump the wake and stuff instead of just riding around.. you will be very dissapointed with a jet boats wake.

I love the jet but for water sports ad a smal arear for boating u r better with the Mastercraft or Ski-Nautique,,,

My wife and I are purchasing a lot on a 19 acre man made ski lake. The lot is one of only a few that allow powerboat privilages. The lake is long
    and narrow for the obvious. We have two kids aged 4 & 9. I have owned
    a few boats in the past, but mainly flats fishing boats here on the coast.
    I am looking at some type of boat to put on the lake. Can't decide if I want a jet type or prop. They only allow inboard motors on the lake for
    sound level reasons and no smaller Jet-Ski type of watercraft are allowed.

I have looked at a 180 Challenger and one of the other prop boats like Mastercraft or Ski-Nautique. I like both of the latter, but at $50K+ I don't want to ski that bad. The $20-$25K+/- is the range I would like to be in without buying a used boat.

My questions are-

1. Prop or Jet powered boat? Wanting to just do some mild stuff on ski's and maybe pull a tube for the kids?

2. Opinions on the 07 Challenger 180? What about pulling power, reliability? Also, I understand these are not good around bays or grass areas as they tend to clog the intake? What about re-sale should I decide I don't like it?

3. There is an 06 180 at my local dealer. They have it priced high in my opinion. $19,900.00. It has low hours (about 20) and looks like a nice boat. Some scratches and was mostly run in Salt Water. Talked to the owner and he said it was one of three boats he owned that he sold before he moved. I noticed water standing in the ski storage and a couple of the other storage areas as well. I have seen new 07's being sold at $3K off MSRP, so this seems high to me?

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

Thanks![/quote]

You will be better off with a ski boat. Your kids will soon be old enough to start going bonzai on the water. When that happens, you'll absolutely prefer the ski boat.

JD Power and Assoc. list the Correct Craft (Nautiques) as a best buy but you should also check out the Malibu line. They have won numerous awards and have been named "boat of the year" several times. There level of fit and finish is superior to all ski boats (my opinion only).

Jet boats are awesome fun and I highly recommend them but for watersports, nothing quite beats a ski boat.

Also, if you may at one time buy a tube designed for more than one rider, a ski boat becomes a must. The drag a large tube creates on a boat is substantial.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information