Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Earthshaker's Mods and Specs

Hi All,

Well i picked up a Vista cs GPS unit finally, and for dirt cheap....Thanks Craigslist!

Out on Lake Berryessa, CA today, my best consistent speed was 66.3 MPH in 6"+ chop (i think i am being kind for those of you that have never been to this lake that is blown out more often than not!), 270 lbs rider in superman, 15 hrs on ski, 2 bars fuel, 2 week old 91 octane fuel, lake temp i beleive is mid 60's, air seemed 80's, on a bone stock, gloppy factory siliconed, running petroleum oil, ultra250x - Red.

I did not catch the rpms, but was clear to me this thing has MUCH more.

Part's i have or currently in the hands of UPS are:

Wedge
    Riva PERFORMANCE intake (it looks like a real clean setup as i would make and found my time more valuable for the $$) Thanks R.A.!
    Pump Seal kit
    VC block offs (again, time/$$)
    Intercooler water strainer (anyone doing the engine lines?)

Planned/in planning:
    most likely "attwood" brand 3" water resistant inline bilge blowers on a relay triggered by "ignition on" and master switched....probably individually switched.

Remove and reseal pump bracket and everthing. there are clear voids in a few spots. arrgh.

Some exhaust mod which i have not determined as of yet. I am fond of removing ~ 20 pounds, but not at the expense of handling (listing)

Build a BOV test rig (i am considering sharing it to other members so we all don't have to build one!)

Shorten via cutoff wheel (or read the manual a bit closer) as my steering adjustment is not centered. When bars are straight, nozzle still points left by 3/16+ with rod end screwed all the way on the cable end. (my buddies 250x is the exact same deal and dimension off)

Well this post probably shows how tired i am at the moment, but thought i'd share what i've found, what i'm up to, and what results to expect in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by earthshaker; 06-26-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    Hi All,

Well i picked up a Vista cs GPS unit finally, and for dirt cheap....Thanks Craigslist!

Out on Lake Berryessa, CA today, my best consistent speed was 66.3 MPH in 6"+ chop (i think i am being kind for those of you that have never been to this lake that is blown out more often than not!), 270 lbs rider in superman, 15 hrs on ski, 2 bars fuel, 2 week old 91 octane fuel, lake temp i beleive is mid 60's, air seemed 80's, on a bone stock, gloppy factory siliconed, running petroleum oil, ultra250x - Red.

I did not catch the rpms, but was clear to me this thing has MUCH more.

Part's i have or currently in the hands of UPS are:

Wedge
    Riva PERFORMANCE intake (it looks like a real clean setup as i would make and found my time more valuable for the $$) Thanks R.A.!
    Pump Seal kit
    VC block offs (again, time/$$)
    Intercooler water strainer (anyone doing the engine lines?)

Planned/in planning:
    most likely "attwood" brand 3" water resistant inline bilge blowers on a relay triggered by "ignition on" and master switched....probably individually switched.

Remove and reseal pump bracket and everthing. there are clear voids in a few spots. arrgh.

Some exhaust mod which i have not determined as of yet. I am fond of removing ~ 20 pounds, but not at the expense of handling (listing)

Build a BOV test rig (i am considering sharing it to other members so we all don't have to build one!)

Shorten via cutoff wheel (or read the manual a bit closer) as my steering adjustment is not centered. When bars are straight, nozzle still points left by 3/16+ with rod end screwed all the way on the cable end. (my buddies 250x is the exact same deal and dimension off)

Well this post probably shows how tired i am at the moment, but thought i'd share what i've found, what i'm up to, and what results to expect in the coming weeks.

I would hold off on the steering alignment issue until you put the wedge on. It`s gonna change it again.

Can you tell me exactly what kind of intercooler water strainer? Is it a Groco like TN250s? If so, which model exactly? There are 4 on Groco's sales page that look exactly like TN's but are different sizes and models.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Can you tell me exactly what kind of intercooler water strainer? Is it a Groco like TN250s? If so, which model exactly? There are 4 on Groco's sales page that look exactly like TN's but are different sizes and models.
    I ordered the one from the online store.

+1

Details are important....hope this helps

You can buy one from here:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...&keyword=groco

It looks like it comes with the bracket, fittings, and clamps. Someone here posted a discrepancy of hose size to be 1/2 at the intercooler. I have not verified. Maybe one of the ones that have done the mod may want to elaborate if they bought a 1/2-3/4 barb/npt fitting or simply stretched the hose over the 3/4 fitting. I think if you click on the product linked above, you will find it is a Groco WSB 750 with Stainless strainer - 40 mesh.

Myself, having accounts in the industrial world, many times decide not to buy retail from marine/rv shops as the distrubutors they buy from simply utilize components from the industrial marketplace and markup considerably! There's more to it than that, but is the simple version.

I personally bought a strainer from Grainger #2P582, mfg is ron vik, rated at 150PSI, but comes with no bracket, fittings or clamps - $12.

W. Marine has the groco, but does not come with fittings or clamps....so for many, the link above will likely be the best value.

PS....it has been indicated that the stainless screen is not for salt water, well i don't have a problem with buying readily available replacement screens for $2 when mine should ever get nasty. I am not 100% certain yet, if when flushing, if this line will get flushed. It seems it will. Ultra250tn's is mounted up high last we saw, maybe he will tell us if it does by testing since he has one hooked up.

PSS....thanks Skip, Richard, Ultra250tn, Mitch, Hydrotoys, Big Red Monster, and so many others for posting your efforts and results.
    Last edited by earthshaker; 06-11-2007 at 02:34 PM.

+1

Thanks Hydrotoys!

I really thought this was the cat's meow when i saw it. What a great use for those awesome cases we see all over the place!! That's ingenuity and thinking out of the box. (no pun intended!)

I chose to buy the black case to blend in and not wave a flag when my hood is upright.

I used wide flanged 3/16 with 5/8 grip alum. rivets and siliconed before insertion and pumped the rivets with after.

Wide flanged rivets can be hard to find in some areas, and can be VERY expensive if you find them retail. I am willing to mail out these rivets to do the job for a couple of bucks for those that need them as i have quantity. You must have a rivet gun to accept the 3/16 rivets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0929.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	27537  

+1
    could not attach pic on edit...no permission so it said. Here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0947.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	27538  

Seattle Marine sells 4 diff sizes of the Groco strainer--the 1/2 and 3/4 NPT are 5" tall 2.9" diameter; the 1" NPT is 6.25x4; the 1.25 NPT is 7x4. I think the 2 larger sizes have monel vs. stainless baskets. So which one exactly are you guys using? I assume we want the biggest one that will fit to maximize flow but wanted to verify size before I ordered. Also, can you please explain again all special fittings that should be ordered with the unit?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Seattle Marine sells 4 diff sizes of the Groco strainer--the 1/2 and 3/4 NPT are 5" tall 2.9" diameter; the 1" NPT is 6.25x4; the 1.25 NPT is 7x4. I think the 2 larger sizes have monel vs. stainless baskets. So which one exactly are you guys using? I assume we want the biggest one that will fit to maximize flow but wanted to verify size before I ordered. Also, can you please explain again all special fittings that should be ordered with the unit?
    Just order the one from the online store, thats why its a lil higher priced so you dont have to do all the leg work.

OK TN will do, but I kinda wanted to do the bricks & mortar purchase to save 1 week and the guy at the shop told me to consider buying the biggest filter that would fit when I told him what it was for. He explained the difference btwn the monel and stainless baskets and said the bigger the filter the less prone to blockage in debris strewn salt water here.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information