+1

No spark on the GPR

OK, ran the Crayola around on Saturday, it ran just fine.... pulled the skis out, washed them off. Yesterday, the XLL was the ski for the day, because the Crayola won't start. It's a bitch to prime anyway (seems to leak the tank pressure out over a few hours), so didn't think much of it at first... then I thought after a while that I must have fouled my plugs. Recharged the battery, put new plugs in it..... nothing. Seemed odd to me that it didn't even hit once the entire time, so I pulled a plug and checked for a spark... nothing. Thinking it might be a bad kill switch, I let the battery charge up again last night and just got through disconnecting the kill switch and trying it again. No spark. Any ideas anyone? It's a 2003, but has been convertec back over to carbs, doesn't have the EFI box in there.

I assume its turning over but not firing.
    Have you checked your fuses
    Slant detection switch
    Ground to battery

+1
    Yeah, turning over, not firing. Got off the phone with Kerry, he's thinking the throttle position sensor. When he changed it over from EFI to carbs, he bypassed the sensor with a couple of resistors, and one of them might be bad. While I was talking to him about it, he looked in his wifes ski and found corrosion on hers. I'll be redoing that bypass this week. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

That's why mine wouldn't start. The throttle blades have to be completely closed on the EFI skis. Mine were slightly open.

+1
    The same thing happened with my 03 yesterday. After a 4 month winter layover. I put battery in, fired right up, gave it some throttle,ooopps!! cable was tight from having nasty river water on it for 4 months. Stretched it alittle out of adjustment. Got it moving freely again with wd-40, but it would just turn over and not start.

I've read before about the tps, so im sure thats what it is. But, i suck at adjusting things, so i jumped on the 06 and off i went.

Nate, how long did it take you to adjust the cable until you found the right spot to close the butterflies? im more the bolt on and go type person.Adjusting is for people with patience.

Well I couldn't get enough adjustment out of mine. The part where it splits off and goes to the throttle bodies/oil injection was broken a bit. One of the metal "collars" was snapped and it stretched the cable out at that point. It didn't give me enough adjustment. I ended up getting a cable off a friend of mine locally. It sucked, I had everything together and then I had to pull the pipe off to replace the cable.

+1
    Kerry hit the nail on the head. Replaced the resistors that bypassed the Throttle Body Sensor and got my spark back. Good info for anyone else running a former EFI ski converted to carbs!

Thread Information