+1

No spark and steady buzzer

I sold my ski yesterday and all seemed fine before the guy left with it. He called me last night and said when he put it in the water that the buzzer started going off and the ski kept shutting down. I wanted to do the right thing so I drove all through the night to pick up the ski and give the guy his money back. Got back at 4:45 this am. They said they thought it was over heating but it should not have beenbecause they said all the lines were clear but I don't know. As soon as you hit the start button the ski beaps for a minute straight and will only turn over for about 8 to 10 seconds then if you hit the stop button and the start button again it turns over again. The shaft is turning and the compression is fine so it does not appear to have seized. I believe it is electrical. I took a quick look this morning and with the plugs out but connected there does not seem to be any spark. I am guessing the CDI went bad. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

what year and model?

+1

Sorry

I am sorry, it is a 2000 GPR with a Group K BB and stock ignition. Here is a PM that MPower, friend of the guy that bought the ski sent me describing the issue as they experienced. They were getting the ski running but I cannot. The engine is not seized.

Originally Posted by eric1238
    Hey Jonathan,

I got the ski home at about 4:00 this am. I took the plugs out and tried to see if there was spark. There did not appear to be any spark. I am thinking the CDI went bad. Just my luck! I was really hoping to get some more info for troubleshooting. Do you know if the ski got a good bit of water in it or anything? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hey Eric,

First off I just want to say that you're one the most stand-up guys I have ever met. I can't begin to express how much respect I have for the character you showed during this ordeal.

For the ski. First off, no the ski didn't have much water in the bottom. Since I got my ski in 2000 its always had a little water running in the very bottom, but that is what the stock bilge is for. Nothing major there.

Now, we started the boat up (turned the alarm off), warmed it up until the pipe was warm. Gas was at 2 bars. Corey made a couple of runs and it the ski would just die. This was not a fuel problem. He would be running at 50 mph and it would completely shut off. I told him to limp it back to shore so I could look at it. The pipe was burning hot.

So problem one is that there is a cooling issue (unless the 1390 motors run much hotter than stage 2+ 1200's). I have had this issue before on my GPR and it was just clogged water lines. I checked all lines on the ski and they seemed to be clear. I installed my jetworks the same way it has been installed on your boat. Whoever installed it did not re-tap the exhaust temp unit in the pipe. It is just tie-wrapped to the CDI box. I also did not retap my temp unit, but it is risky to do this because you will not know when your ski is running hot. However, I monitor the temp of the pipe by hand when I ride. This is what is interesting. The pipe is burning hot (it should be warmish-cool to the touch), the ski is shutting down, yet the temp unit is not installed. That is what I don't understand.

Now that you cant find spark, maybe it is an electrical issue, but im not sure how that would cause a cooling issue. Here again, these 1390's may run hot, well MUCH hotter than 12 and 1300's. The pipe was burn your hand hot.

The ski never had a problem starting, but now you say you get no spark? I have never heard of a stock CDI box taking a crap, but it is possible.

That boat runs like a f-ing demon though so your motor and all major parts are operating fine. My 1200 runs around 75 but it starts falling off around 71-72 and and hits 75 because of my hull mods, not power. Your boat runs to 73 at the flick of a hat and then bucks like a SOB. I think its because of that stock prop not being able to process the water. 14/20 on a 1390 is a like a stock prop on a 1500cc BB Triple pipe GPR.

If your not getting spark it may be the coils have gone bad. You can find those in the electrical box to the left of the CDI, there are 3 of them, going to each plug wire. I highly doubt the CDI itself is bad. I would check thoes coils, but that still doesnt explain the pipe getting so hot.

IMO whatever is wrong is very simple and probably inexpensive to repair. This is not a mechanical failure. That motor, carbs, pump, etc work great.

Keep me posted and I'll try and help.

Again, there aren't many people that would show the integrity you showed. You're one hell of guy.

Keep me posted!

Does it have the cat in it or D-plate?
    If it doesnt start at all and the warning comes on its probably the water temp sensor.
    If its starts but has the warning it probably the cat temp sensor. They can both be avoided by putting in the proper ohm resistor for each. Need to know the year though.

Also check the ground on both the battery side and the engine side. That will often let the ski turn over but not run. It will throw an overheat code on mine if the ground isnt good.

+1

Porksword

I was reading Porksword's reply on Smitty's issue and I checked the 2 fuses and they looked good. What is the slant decetion switch?

+1

Thank you

It is a 2000 GP1200R groupk 1390. The temp sensor is out of the pipe and zip tied. It has a D- Plate in it. I cannot figure out why it was running hot for them but now that I got it home it will not start for me. I will check the grounds this evening. Thanks for the help!!! Can you give me more info on the resistor for the water temp sensor. Like I said the previous owner had it out of the pipe and zip tied to the side of the ski. Maybe he had the resistor on there and it is loose or something? Would the resister be right there at the switch? Thanks again!

Tha Cat temp sensor and the water temp sensor both plug in at the same place side by side. Thats what the two plugs are next to the ingition on the left side of the ski by where you hook it up to the hose. Your probably has a cat "chip" installed. Beside that is the water temp sensor, different years are a little different as far as to which ohm resistor needs to be installed. Im not at home right now so I dont have it in front of me. Just do a search on ohm or resistor for water temp sensor and you should find it. They normally come in a pack of 5 for about $1. It will be like a 2k ohm or 10k ohm.

+1

I will look at it again

I will have to look at it tonight. The previous owner had a metal sensor zip tied to the left side and there is also a grey (I think grey) plug that is not plugged into anything that is zip tied to the left side

Thread Information