Jug Inspector

New to Sea-Doo, 1995 XP 800 ?'s

Hey guys, new to Sea Doo. I've been a Polaris guy forever but I got a great deal on a 95 XP 800 former race ski. Nice Pink bottom, lol.
    I have a few questions -

1. Do I have a 782, 785, or 787? I'm thinking 785 per the race rules. Or the 782 is a 785 with a little room?
    2. What carbs came stock with this? 38mm SBN's or 40mm keheins? The previous owner removed the 46 Novi's it had and put the stock carbs on and stock airbox - I haven't even torn into it yet. I also hear that the stock carbs run lean on hard acceleration and turns - any fix for this?
    3. Can I use the freezer trick to do the wear ring? The pump is off and although the clearance is tight between the impeller and ring, there is a really low spot in one area and I'd like to either fill it or flip it.
    4. Stock ride plate works well? It has a top-loader, unknown who makes it yet.
    5. How often should I clean the RAVE valves?
    6. Any other areas known for issues that need to be tended to before I take this beast out?

FYI it's already ported, polished, piped, pump blueprinted, etc etc. He took the carbs and high-comp. head off to de-tune it so his dad could ride it on 91 on their lake.

Thanks ahead of time --

Bryan

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    Hey guys, new to Sea Doo. I've been a Polaris guy forever but I got a great deal on a 95 XP 800 former race ski. Nice Pink bottom, lol.
    I have a few questions -

1. Do I have a 782, 785, or 787? I'm thinking 785 per the race rules. Or the 782 is a 785 with a little room?
    2. What carbs came stock with this? 38mm SBN's or 40mm keheins? The previous owner removed the 46 Novi's it had and put the stock carbs on and stock airbox - I haven't even torn into it yet. I also hear that the stock carbs run lean on hard acceleration and turns - any fix for this?
    3. Can I use the freezer trick to do the wear ring? The pump is off and although the clearance is tight between the impeller and ring, there is a really low spot in one area and I'd like to either fill it or flip it.
    4. Stock ride plate works well? It has a top-loader, unknown who makes it yet.
    5. How often should I clean the RAVE valves?
    6. Any other areas known for issues that need to be tended to before I take this beast out?

FYI it's already ported, polished, piped, pump blueprinted, etc etc. He took the carbs and high-comp. head off to de-tune it so his dad could ride it on 91 on their lake.

Thanks ahead of time --

Bryan

Bryan welcome,
    1. If the cylinder bore is stk then it is a 782cc. There are a few out there that where x models and it will have an x after the cc then its an 787.
    To be sure you will have to remove the head.

2. I pretty sure they are 40mm Mikuni's and the stk set up should work fine.

3. You can freeze it but I would just take a grinder with a carbide bit and it will speed this job up. I suggest replacing it because on this wearring the surface area isnt large enough to take the damaged space up.

4. I think you are talking about the intake grate and if you are any aftermarket grate will work better than stk. To help the handling of the ski I would remove the trim tabs and install a couple washer under them. This will help like night and day or us R & D./

5. I would clean the Rave valves once a year and install sparkplug orings around the base of the bellows to help with keeping them from blowing off.

6. Two other things if your still using stk vts and it works replace the vts trim boot and use zip ties instead of the stainless clamps. Other if it still has oil injection replace the oil injection lines and oil filter. The factory paints them and lets them crack. Good Luck JOJO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1976140-R1-048-22A.jpeg 
Views:	4238 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	27596  

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by JOJO567 View Post
    Bryan welcome,
    1. If the cylinder bore is stk then it is a 782cc. There are a few out there that where x models and it will have an x after the cc then its an 787.
    To be sure you will have to remove the head.

2. I pretty sure they are 40mm Mikuni's and the stk set up should work fine.

3. You can freeze it but I would just take a grinder with a carbide bit and it will speed this job up. I suggest replacing it because on this wearring the surface area isnt large enough to take the damaged space up.

4. I think you are talking about the intake grate and if you are any aftermarket grate will work better than stk. To help the handling of the ski I would remove the trim tabs and install a couple washer under them. This will help like night and day or us R & D./

5. I would clean the Rave valves once a year and install sparkplug orings around the base of the bellows to help with keeping them from blowing off.

6. Two other things if your still using stk vts and it works replace the vts trim boot and use zip ties instead of the stainless clamps. Other if it still has oil injection replace the oil injection lines and oil filter. The factory paints them and lets them crack. Good Luck JOJO
    1. The model # is stamped under the head? Not on the side of the block? Interesting.

2. I tore them apart last night. They are Mikuni SBN's... not sure if they're 38's or 40's yet. Tapered bore.

3. Haven't attempted yet. I wanted to get it running right first, then attach the pump.. as the one ring is missing betweeen the steering and outlet nozzle. On order.

4. I meant to say it has a top-loader intake grate, and does anyone have a suggestion for a rideplate to complement it? Or will the stock plate work well? As for the trim tabs - I haven't gotten into them yet. Mine appear to attach to the stern and not the bottom of the hull. He said the tabs were aftermarket. Is the linkage binding or are they only supposed to move about a half inch up and down? Becuase that's all mine move.

5. I cleaned the valves last night. Odd thing is that the two valve tops were different. On was flat, while the other had a cup around the hex area that you thread off. I think one is the old style that had a tendency to break.

6. Since it was a race ski, all the stock fuel and oil lines were removed and replaced with huge stuff. Not brittle at all, and relatively clean. No paint.

And some new questions! What plugs? It has BR9ES' in it... I thought PWC's usually take BPR plugs.

Anyone have a picture of under the hood? I have a million wires and nothing is plugged in. There are some duplicate connectors and I don't want to toast anything.

My 95 appears to have a 97 CDI in it. The CDI has 97 written all over it in grease marker. Was this an upgrade?

My primer.... the ends of the primer lines terminate into a fitting. This fitting appears to be pushed-into the carb body. But they fell out. Press harder? Use some RTV?

Man I sound like a total Noob. Thanks for the help.

Bryan

Thread Information