2003 Sea-Doo GTX Issue - Your opinion

Hello,
    I have had the pleasure of reading the Green Hulk Message Boards for some time and greatly appreciate all the advice and information provided.

I have a 2003 GTX SC that has experienced a 15 mph loss since the first year of ownership (roughly 50 hr mark). The unit has been at the dealer on 5 separate occasions totaling over 175 days. Following our suggestion to check the sc clutch, an issue was identified and the dealer replaced the parts in July 2006 - it still continued to have the speed loss (never fixed). In December 2006, we escalated to BRP and finally BOAT US for some help in getting my problem resolved and after 4 months, BRP requested we take it to a different dealer (yes we should have done that sooner).

BRP came back today with the following explanation and info.

The dealer inspected and test rode the Sea-Doo. They determined there was excessive clearance between the wear ring and the impeller. This clearance caused ventilation and a reduced thrust in the jet pump which
    resulted in a loss of top-end speed.

This is not a manufacturer's defect, but a wear item; therefore, the customer will be responsible for the cost of the repairs.

My question is - would the clearance problem mentioned above cause the same symptoms as the sc clutch and go undetected through all the normal servicing and times in the shop.

We are happy she will be fixed - this site has been invaluable!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by soda bay View Post
    Hello,
    I have had the pleasure of reading the Green Hulk Message Boards for some time and greatly appreciate all the advice and information provided.

I have a 2003 GTX SC that has experienced a 15 mph loss since the first year of ownership (roughly 50 hr mark). The unit has been at the dealer on 5 separate occasions totaling over 175 days. Following our suggestion to check the sc clutch, an issue was identified and the dealer replaced the parts in July 2006 - it still continued to have the speed loss (never fixed). In December 2006, we escalated to BRP and finally BOAT US for some help in getting my problem resolved and after 4 months, BRP requested we take it to a different dealer (yes we should have done that sooner).

The dealer inspected and test rode the Sea-Doo. They determined there was excessive clearance between the wear ring and the impeller. This clearance caused ventilation and a reduced thrust in the jet pump which

This is not a manufacturer's defect, but a wear item; therefore, the customer will be responsible for the cost of the repairs.

My question is - would the clearance problem mentioned above cause the same symptoms as the sc clutch and go undetected through all the normal servicing and times in the shop.

A worn wear ring will cause loss of RPM therefor causing loss of Top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by soda bay View Post
    Hello,

the 03 gtxsc is metal 2 metal in the s/c so there r no clutches in the s/c if the s/c slips u'll lose speed + u'll also lose rpm & the best fix 4 that is a 06 update kit with metal washers now the 03 gtxsc also have a plastic pump which will flex under power & wear out a wear ring very quickly u'll lose mph but rpm will not drop a new wear will last 4 10 hrs before it will start 2 slip a little the best fix 4 that is 2 add a 05 gtx metal pump now if the wear ring was the problem a dealer should have figured that out on the first visted & fixed it in no more than 2 hrs + the price of wear & yes the wear ring is a wear item

A worn out supercharger clutch keeps the RPMs lower and it won't feel as strong. A worn wear ring will still rev high, but won't accellerate as quickly because of cavitation.

Thread Information