Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Gas mileage check

I am just checking to see if my gas mileage is right. When I hit on bar on the fuel guage, my sensor goes off, so I normally end it there for the day and refill. I usually get around 14.7-14.9 gallons back in. On the gps, it says I went 55 miles. My calculations show 55/14.7=3.74 miles per gallon. I was doing lake riding with 1-2 foot chop the whole time. I was riding 1, 2, and even 3 adults at a time, did some towing of a tube, and a bunch of WOT. I just wanted to make sure it is correct. From past research, it seems right. I also read that there are 2 gallons of unusable fuel, so that would mean I have just less than 4 gallons of usable fuel left. Sorry for all the math.....3.9 gallons X 3.74 mpg = 14.586. So I guess if I used all the usable fuel, I would be right around 70 miles per tank. Once again, sorry for all the math, but I was just letting you know what I was getting. What is everyone else getting and how are you riding?

Ran mine down to 2 bars when my buzzer went off. Took about 14 gals. to fill it back up. Sat. I rode about 80 miles with 1 bar left. Havent filled it back up yet. I ride the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blownhotrodder View Post
    Ran mine down to 2 bars when my buzzer went off. Took about 14 gals. to fill it back up. Sat. I rode about 80 miles with 1 bar left. Havent filled it back up yet. I ride the hell out of it.
    I think you ment 8 not 80 at 1 bar left.
    Based on my refill. I think I had about 2-2.5 gal left after the alarm went off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
    I think you ment 8 not 80 at 1 bar left.
    Based on my refill. I think I had about 2-2.5 gal left after the alarm went off.
    No I think he meant he rode 80 miles and ended the day with 1 bar left.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcolog2 View Post
    No I think he meant he rode 80 miles and ended the day with 1 bar left.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by erckawasaki View Post
    I am just checking to see if my gas mileage is right. When I hit on bar on the fuel guage, my sensor goes off, so I normally end it there for the day and refill. I usually get around 14.7-14.9 gallons back in. On the gps, it says I went 55 miles. My calculations show 55/14.7=3.74 miles per gallon. I was doing lake riding with 1-2 foot chop the whole time. I was riding 1, 2, and even 3 adults at a time, did some towing of a tube, and a bunch of WOT. I just wanted to make sure it is correct. From past research, it seems right. I also read that there are 2 gallons of unusable fuel, so that would mean I have just less than 4 gallons of usable fuel left. Sorry for all the math.....3.9 gallons X 3.74 mpg = 14.586. So I guess if I used all the usable fuel, I would be right around 70 miles per tank. Once again, sorry for all the math, but I was just letting you know what I was getting. What is everyone else getting and how are you riding?

I averaged 3.75 MPG when I did this 3 day trip click here

+1
    So how does this compare to the RXP or RXT? I'm at the breaking point of buying either the 250X or the RXP, but the only thing I'm worried about is the heavy fuel consumption of the 250X.....and it's my only reservation about buying the "barge". It's really sad that I would consider tolerating an RXP poor handling in heavy chop just b/c the 250X was such a gas hog.

Does ANYONE on this forum own both skis and can give us a fair comparison of the difference?

The rxp and the 250 are really two diffrent machines for diffrent styles or goals in riding. Also, no the x aint gonna get great gas mileage but thats the price of horsepower. If you ask me its more negative spat from the other brand riders than really being a gas hog. Lets see what the mileage is for the 08 250+hp others.

+1
    Your right.....let's see how the new RXP performs on GPH with the new 250+ HP engines rumored for 2008.

It's not that I can't afford the fuel, but it's the principal. Let me explain.

I have family that loves to ride the RXP and RXT that my friend owns. She lets me borrow them and I pay for the fuel. Cost me about 85 bucks to fill up both from a little less than 1/4 tank. We ride them all day back down to a little less than 1/4 tank. That's about 4-5 hours of total ride time on both boats. Now, if I buy the 250X and the family wants to put it through the same ride times as we do the friends Sea Doo I might get a little bitchy when we only get 3 hours out of the tank, half the fun, and no one else is helping with the 93 octane costs. So in turn I cut everyone off and keep it all to myself....hell..I'm the one paying the note anyway. Then everyone thinks I'm a snob despite the explanation of fuel expense. I can also tell ya that NO ONE else will be riding it during the 5 hour break in period except ME! What would someone who wasn't paying the bills care if he went 5 minutes WOT BEFORE it was past the 5 hours required? See my point. So I will have to break it in before any family get togethers and be on the water all by myself to avoid SNOB stingy status. I know......price of fuel has made me crazy, but hell....this sh!t is getting STUPID in price and totally uncalled for IMHO. Oil corporations PURPOSELY close down refinerys so that they can delberately increase the price of fuel due to supply and demand......ok, I'm done ranting. Sorry for the wasted space.

[quote=UnleashedBeast;309636]... Cost me about 85 bucks to fill up both from a little less than 1/4 tank. We ride them all day back down to a little less than 1/4 tank. That's about 4-5 hours of total ride time on both boats. Now, if I buy the 250X and the family wants to put it through the same ride times as we do the friends Sea Doo I might get a little bitchy when we only get 3 hours out of the tank, half the fun, and no one else is helping with the 93 octane costs...

Until I joined this forum and saw the value of GPS in monitoring performance, I always thought about fuel consumption solely in terms of hours on the water like you are doing. To me, its more significant than mileage unless I'm headin to a specific destination. I was impressed with the relatively low consumption of the RXP last summer, seemed better than my GTX despite the 30 addtl hp. I think your guesstimates are reasonably accurate, 3 hrs for the Ultra and 4 for the RXP--don't know about the RXT. If you want to go just 30 or so, I think all these craft get great mileage but thats hard to do. Remember too that its quality of ride time not just quantity. You can't get close to PWC performance from a boat w/o way more operating expense in every area. And we can go practically everywhere a boat can go. There are very few boats around here that can keep up with an SD or Kawi in calm or waves unless youre talkin about true musclecrafts that really burn the fuel. Thats why I say the fun you get on a PWC is still a bargain. Another comparison I draw is with those wild wave waterparks. Those are great fun for the family too but I was floored the first time I bought all day passes. And youre out in the real outdoors on a PWC! The best deal is to have a friend with a nice boat who'll meet you on the water. They mess around on the ski while you kick back in style on their deck and rest up for the ride home. (Kind of a pwc today post but heck you did ask!) All the best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information