Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Well!! Found the Problem, New Ceramic Bearing FRIED!!!

My mechanic pulled apart my supercharger to find that my new ceramic bearings that i just installed last week , one of them the front one towards the intake side , was melted!, and it melted something else which caused my sc wheel to hit the housing and dig into it a bit. Now my main question is im bringing it in to get warranty work done but what should i have the dealer look at also, cause me and my mechanic are worried about metal shavings maybe got in the throttle body and etc, from the SC wheel grinding the housing. Any suggestions or opinions, on this my mechanic was saying either the bearing was junk or my machine generated a lot of heat and caused this. I recently did the shorty water box mod and a thru haul would that have caused anything? Please help i bring it to the dealer tomorrow!

+1
    What exactly melted? The other mods had nothing to do with a bearing failure. Warranty will cover the SC problem, they won't know the difference in the bearings. What impeller was in it?

My mods are waterbox mod(shorty) Ceramic bearings, SS washers, SS wear ring, Pirahna Solid Motor Mount, Riva thru haul, opas block off's, stg 1, BOV, oil catch can, and the SC wheel is stock!, My mechanic said the bearing itself is melted like toast, gone, but he said it also melted something plastic that was inside the SC which cause the shaft of the SC to vibrate or move a bit causing the SC wheel to grind into the Housing. Do you think any of those shavings got into the motor or something tho?
    Last edited by NeverEndn; 06-11-2007 at 11:33 PM.

+1
    No worries, it's just dust like spray paint.

+1
    Sorry to hear about this. It's the first one i heard of letting go.
    It's real important that the bearings be installed properly. Especially that front one. They need to be pushed in straight with a press using the bearing pusher tool.

Well im taking it to the dealer today, to get warranty work done hopefully! so.. as for the bearing i do remember him saying he had to use the that tool. He's a licensed sea-doo mechanic, the only shitty part is now im down, without a ski for the rest of this month probably!

from my experience in other feilds(non PWC related) Ceramic bearings are fragile. Installation and keeping them clean is very important because their tolerance is so high. i put in the SS washers on my ski but opted out on putting the bearings in. My ski is stock and the ceramics wont benefit me and i was worried because i know under abnormal stresses they can granade...

I would say it was installation error. I have beat the piss out of my boat for 35 hrs without an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    I would say it was installation error. I have beat the piss out of my boat for 35 hrs without an issue.
    Why is it when ever a part fails it gets blamed on the installation??

What if it truely was a faulty part?

Not sure if this was the first issue with the bearings but I can say without a doubt it was not installation, the sc was ripped back apart and everything was done to spec, all proper tool that are required were used.

This was NOT installed in some shed with a pair of pliers, it was installed by a seadoo mechanic with 35years experience with the proper tools.

I did the same thing and now im afraid to ride my machine. Im about to order all new STOCK bearings and take out the ceramics cause Im scared of what happened to my budys machine.

This is not a knock on jerry and im not calling the part faulty BUT it has left me to wonder about the reliability of these bearings.

Sorry guys after seeing what happened to my buddys machine and seeing the bearing I find myself wanting to take them out.

BTW dont jump all over this post as an attck cause its not.

BUt seriously should I worry cause now Im thinking of not riding my machine until we solve the problem.

+1
    06viperrxp you should have no worries with the ceramic bearings. There are hundreds out there and no failures thus far. On the other hand, we have heard of countless steel bearing failures. All the major turbo and supercharger manufacturers use ceramic bearings. Why? Because they are superior to traditional steel ball bearings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information