Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy '99 XL1200 Problems -HELP!!

I have a '99 XL1200 WaveRunner with 125 hours on it. Had it out last weekend and the top speed would vary, sometimes 50, sometimes only 36 or somewhere in between. It would run fine on a straight run then lose power and the speed would drop off. Also, when turning it loses power and bogs down. Had it in the shop 2 weeks ago and they said it was the impellor. Helped some but still not right. I'm taking it to a different shop next week but would like some input before the stealership looks at it. The shop I took it to originally seemed to be geared toward bikes.

Help!!!!

Check the compression. I would bet on a bad cylinder or maybe just a bad PV.

Been there a couple of times...

if you haven't upgraded the PVs on a 99 Xll with a 125 hrs. on it I'll bet you dropped a PV. Take a compression test, then just remove the PV covers and check to see if the pins are still holding the PVs.

Question

What is the approximate cost of replacement of the PVs?
    If it is a power valve,could I damage it by riding it this weekend?
    Anyone Know of a good mechanic in the Denver area?

Have you d-plated your ski?Sometimes the converter will fall into your exhaust and cause this problem.When turning sharp the converterwill roll around in your exhaust and cause changes in power due to restriction of exhaust flow.

I'm a newbie so excuse the stupidity. What is a d-plate?
    Two years ago the stealer supposedly remove the cat because it was broken(?).
    I had the muffler out to tighten a bolt a couple of weeks ago and there appeared to be a ceramic rod about three inches wide and six long loose inside the muffler.
    Could that be a piece of the cat?

The D-plate is just that, more or less a gasket that replaces the cat-con and provides back pressure necessary to drive the 2 stroke engine. Riva catalog: http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...al%20D%20Plate

The PVs are improved 2 ways, replace them with better ones (http://www.rd-performance.com/catalo...20Valve%20Kits)
    or add wave eater clips to the OEM versions. If you have to buy an OEM go ahead and step up to the R&D version, well worth the price difference. http://www.waveeaterproducts.com/ has outstanding data about the PVs and their product.

Chances are that one or more PVs on your ski dropped into the cylinder enough to shred and possibly tear things up. Compression test! You can pull the covers off the PVs and see if they are okay. At 125hours the PV housings will be full of gunk - scrape it out the best you can. Don't use solvents unless you can stop them from entering the crankcase or will run the engine immediately after. The covers on the PV housings should not be over tightened. Also, the OEM rods between the PVs are NOT reliable and should be replaced.

If you are moderately mechanical I would start by buying an inexpensive compression tester - it doesn't matter the exact compression just whether it's in the 120psi range. Remove all the spark plugs and use the tester in each in turn. If you have a problem it will be immediately obvious.

Plan on doing the D-plate no matter what. It's not hard and even if your cat-con still works it won't for long. This is a once and forever fix for that piece.

Don't abandon the ski! The LTD is a lot of fun and a great compromise between power and ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wet one View Post
    I'm a newbie so excuse the stupidity. What is a d-plate?
    Two years ago the stealer supposedly remove the cat because it was broken(?).
    I had the muffler out to tighten a bolt a couple of weeks ago and there appeared to be a ceramic rod about three inches wide and six long loose inside the muffler.
    Could that be a piece of the cat?
    holy crap, it sounds like a pv is in your muffler !

lmao. i hope its not a pv in muffler.

could very well be a pv. jeremy broke/dropped a power valve in his big bore motor, fell into the cylinder bounce around a couple of times, flattened the spark plug, and went out the exhaust.

just another day at the lake!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information