Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS?

GPS?

A lot of people seem to be measuring their speed via GPS. I am curious to know what units people are using and what they think of them.

-or-

If I was thinking of purchasing a unit to measure speed, which Brand, Model would be most recommended?

Thumbs up

Garmin Etrex is cheapest,accurate,and available at you local Wally-World (less than $100). http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...roduct_id=1533

I use this one pretty cheap the maps are costly though. Have sweet mount for my ski and snowmobile. Mounted it using a hose clamp then hard wired it to the batter with the kit they sell.
    http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-g...d/60csx1gb.htm

x2 on the Garmin 60CSx ... I love it.

+1
    welcome to the forum !

Garmin Forunner 201

I have the Garman 60Cx too. I use it on my boat and in my car great unit

Garmin E-Trex..

Works great.. for a cheap GPS..

THere are nicer units out there that display in color..

Thanks for all the input. Since the only reason for my purchase will be determining accurate speed (I've been boating for forty years now and have yet to find an accurate speedo on a boat), I am wondering why I should purchase one of the more expensive units? They all use the same Math and Logarithms to determine speed so the accuracy should be the same on all the units (given same location and other variables).

Why did you guys that purchased the more expensive ones do so? I hope you use them for other reasons besides determining speed.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by smclear View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Since the only reason for my purchase will be determining accurate speed (I've been boating for forty years now and have yet to find an accurate speedo on a boat), I am wondering why I should purchase one of the more expensive units? They all use the same Math and Logarithms to determine speed so the accuracy should be the same on all the units (given same location and other variables).

Why did you guys that purchased the more expensive ones do so? I hope you use them for other reasons besides determining speed.

Steve

I'm new to the area and boats so I wanted some idea of where I was when out on the water roaming around. It's also a safety thing for me so I can radio my exact location if I ever loose power etc.

I was also looking for a car unit like a tom tom so I went for a unit that would do both. I just switch from car to boat when needed

If you only need to measure speed then I'd go with a cheaper unit.

Quote Originally Posted by smclear View Post
    Steve
    I purchased the more expensive GMap 76Cx so I could have maps and I use it in my car as well as on the ski. However, it does not show maps and speed on the same screen so I have to switch back and forth.

I'm going to buy the Garmin Forerunner 101 and mount on handle bar for speed and distance like RX951 is using. If you just want speed and distance this is the best solution, IMHO. (The GF 201 is a little smaller than the 101 and connects to your computer. The 101 is a little larger than the 201 and does not connect to the computer. I think the 101 is the best choice at about $85.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information