Thread: Cavitation?

Cavitation?

What is it and how do you know when you have it? Is it the same as prop spin? After my new wear ring instal I can now hit it and it will flash to the rev limiter at any speed under 30mph

Cavitation is a general term used to describe the behavior of voids or bubbles in a liquid. Cavitation is usually divided into two classes of behavior: inertial (or transient) cavitation and non-inertial cavitation. Inertial cavitation is the process where a void or bubble in a liquid rapidly collapses, producing a shock wave. Such cavitation often occurs in pumps, propellers, impellers, and in the vascular tissues of plants. Non-inertial cavitation is the process where a bubble in a fluid is forced to oscillate in size or shape due to some form of energy input, such as an acoustic field. Such cavitation is often employed in ultrasonic cleaning baths and can also be observed in pumps, propellers etc.Cavitation is, in many cases, an undesirable occurrence. In devices such as propeller and pumps, cavitation causes a great deal of noise, damage to components, vibrations, and a loss of efficiency.

When the cavitation bubbles collapse, they force liquid energy to very small volumes. Thereby, they create spots of high temperature and emit shock waves which are the source of noise. The noise created by cavitation is a particular problem for submarines, as it increases the chances of being detected by the enemy.

Although the collapse of cavities is a relatively low energy event, it is highly localized and can even erode metals such as steel. The pitting caused by the collapse of cavities produces great wear on components and can dramatically shorten a propeller or pump's lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow04RXP View Post
    What is it and how do you know when you have it? Is it the same as prop spin? After my new wear ring instal I can now hit it and it will flash to the rev limiter at any speed under 30mph

Yes you have prop spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    Yes you have prop spin.
    so it does not sound like cavitation? what would the signs of cavitation be?

+1
    yes, generally speaking, prop spin = cavitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow04RXP View Post
    so it does not sound like cavitation? what would the signs of cavitation be?

I don't get your question.........

If you have the throttle WFO out of the hole or at 30 mph, and the revs are through the roof, and the ski is not pulling hard,,,,,,,,,,,,it is cavitating, prop spinning, whatever you want to call it.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    I don't get your question.........

If you have the throttle WFO out of the hole or at 30 mph, and the revs are through the roof, and the ski is not pulling hard,,,,,,,,,,,,it is cavitating, prop spinning, whatever you want to call it.........
    oh ok now i get that they are the same thing........yesterday out on the river my ski pulled to 8150 standing up

you probably rolled up the rubber seal on the front of the pump and it's sucking air

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    you probably rolled up the rubber seal on the front of the pump and it's sucking air
    what would be a way to prevent that if that is the case?

it just happens sometime or another to everyone. to fix it if that's what it is, just take the pump off and put it back on and make sure it's in the groove on the pump.

Thread Information