92 SL 650 motor work

Hello, I purchased a 1992 SL 650 that had water in the middle cylinder, I am in the works of tearing the motor down to rebuild it. I have it mostly taken apart but I can not seem to get the crankshaft out because of the piece that the driveshaft pushes into. Does anyone know how the large round piece comes off on the opposite side of the flywheel? It looked as though it was setup to put a crescent wrench on, but I tried some and had no luck, I thought maybe an allen wrench would go inside to free something but I have had no luck. I have not found anything in my repair manual on this so I am having a little trouble, any information would be great, thanks.

+1
    Oh yes the old harmonic balancer. It only came on early 1992's. You have to unscrew it from the crank shaft and then it has a roll pin holding it to the coupler. How far is your tear down? Are the cylinders removed? If so stick something to keep the crank from rotating and wrench that sucker off. It is right hand thread.

Thanks, that should help me to know that it is right hand thread. The cylinders are already off so I had something stuck against the crankshaft to keep it from spinning. I will get that off, clean everything up and get some gaskets and hopefully have it going in not too long.

+1
    I have used a four foot bar in the crank and a three foot pipe wrench on the coupler and Finley got it off. It is much easier to remove with the motor installed and the cylinders on. Note to self crack the coupler loose before removing the engine.

Thanks for the note, cause I was about to reply that I had just gone out and tried to break it loose with a big 1 1/2 foot crescent and had no luck, will have to see what else I can gather for tools tomorrow and try to break it loose

I'm still having some troubles getting the harmonic balancer off from the motor, I wedged boards so the motor could not spin at all, I strapped the motor down. There is one silver pin in the harmonic balancer, does that need to be drilled out first? I took a picture of it. I was trying to turn it counter clockwise as I would a regular right hand thread bolt. I used a large pipe to extend my crescent wrench. If you click on the picture you can see the pin I am speaking of. If someone has any more advice that would be great, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	28649  

You don't need to pull the outer ring AKA balancer off unless you need some more meat to grab on the coupler! Z

Thread Information