Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need serious help/advice!!!

Well, its been six months of hard work mechanically and legally.... and I finally was able to take my Slt750 to the ocean. Started up fine the night before and I even cleaned it up a bit! Being this would be my first time ever with a jetski, I was very excited!! I backed into the water and unhooked it from the trailer and had my uncle park the truck. I had secured the jetski to the pier, jumped on it and started it up. At idle, the jetski wanted to move forward so I disconnected the rope from the jetski. Wrong move!!! As I was turning the ski around, it cut out! I tried restarting but it wouldn't start!! There was a strong cross current and it was slowly taking me out of the launch ramp to sea. My uncle frantically tried to throw me the rope but I was too far out!! So, I jumped in, grabbed the front of the ski and started kicking like crazy to get back to shore!! After a few minutes I was able to swim it back to the ramp and noticed the front of the ski looked lower than the rear!! I opened the front storage hatch and saw that the hull was taking on water!! The water got up to the base of the FA's!! We hooked up the trailer and noticed the water draining at the rear from two holes at the base of the hull within the jetpump tunnel. Are these hole for the exhaust?? I noticed them the night before but I wasn't sure. Can anyone tell me is this normal? Is there a plug missing?? What can I do to fix this!!
    SORRY, for such a drawn out story!! But I'm totally disgusted right now!!

+1
    Sounds like the bilge fittings that normally suck water out of the ski, were left unplugged from the pump and/or from the bilge and loops inside the ski. Get a manual and go over that ski. Sounds like it has more than just a leaky bilge.

A couple of things to do next time.
    -Back the trailer in next time, and quietly watch inside the ski. A flashlight really helps.
    -If no water coming in, crank the ski. Watch again.
    -Rev it up a touch, and watch for issues...inside smoke, water, wierd sounds.
    -If succesful take it out, with the seat off, and make sure nothing is going bonkers on you. Have your chase craft handy.

Thanks for the tips, I guess I was so excited to get it in the water, I failed to make those pre-checks. Those bilge pump hoses are attached (2) because I had replaced the driveshaft the night before as well. Its those two holes where the exhaust comes out of the hull. Does the exhaust come out thru both holes are just one? I really never paid attention. I thought it was coming out of the right hole. The left hole is unobstructed and is a direct source for water to enter the hull. should this be plugged??

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Pics please.

+1
    If I'm not mistaken, both those holes are hooked to hoses inside the ski, up to the top, then down to bilge-water collectors.

I'm mistaken, the exhaust does not exit these holes at all. The exhaust exits a hole at the top of the jetpump tunnel. These two holes look like drainage holes. Are there plugs for this?Any other Polaris Slt owners have these holes?

+1
    It sounds as though you simply left your drain plugs out, however, the book only shows 1, not 2???

+1
    Time to take some pictures, and end the confusion.

pics finally!!

Here are the pics of the hole on the left and hole on the right!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6140005.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	27879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6140004.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	27880  

+1
    Those are the bilge drains They should be plugged with a bilge plug. Any boat store or Walmart will have them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information