Is there room for alittle leaner! "pics"

I just pulled these plugs out after running them the last 3 weekends on my 97xp with a spec1 and ppg level 1 I was running only 6850 max with a stock XO I just got it back from impros, I had them repitch it so I can pull alittle more rpm out but wanted to check the plugs first and they are both the same.. Is there room to run alittle leaner or should I run it the way it is with the repitch and then see how they look..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	27828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	27829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0431.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	27830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	27831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	27832  

+1
    are these pics after a wot plug chop? if so, then yes they do look rich and you can lean it out some. if you checked them after idling around a bit, it won't give you a true reading of how they are running at wot.

in my opinion they look rich regardless of when you checked them.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    are these pics after a wot plug chop? if so, then yes they do look rich and you can lean it out some. if you checked them after idling around a bit, it won't give you a true reading of how they are running at wot.

in my opinion they look rich regardless of when you checked them.
    should I be running 9's because that is what I got when I got the ski serviced last year when I first bought it, so I have been running 9's since then..
    and yes these are a wot pass with a maybe 8-10 idle in the wake zone..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97XP800 View Post
    should I be running 9's because that is what I got when I got the ski serviced last year when I first bought it, so I have been running 9's since then..
    and yes these are a wot pass with a maybe 8-10 idle in the wake zone..

Stick with BR8ES plugs gapped .022".

What is your jetting? I would suggest 75 LS jets without accelerator pumps, 70 LS jets with accel pumps. the HS jets should be 150-155. The N/S, 2.0 w/ 80gram springs with aftermarket filters.

-BT

Banned User
    +1
    since its the PPG level 1, it should be 9's after he dials in the carbs...but thats on a 951, the 800's could be different...

you need to pull the plugs after cutting power and closing the throttle DURING a WOT run.....if you idle at all, you just killed the chop....

Go back out with a plug wrench, wrap a WOT run the pull the lanyard while leaving the throttle closed....then pop the front, pull the plugs...

on that Level 1, your HS screws should be about a 1/8th turn more on the PTO....

Thats the proceedure I did on my GSXL when I had them rebuild my motor and had the Level 1 one there...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    since its the PPG level 1, it should be 9's after he dials in the carbs...but thats on a 951, the 800's could be different...

you need to pull the plugs after cutting power and closing the throttle DURING a WOT run.....if you idle at all, you just killed the chop....

Go back out with a plug wrench, wrap a WOT run the pull the lanyard while leaving the throttle closed....then pop the front, pull the plugs...

on that Level 1, your HS screws should be about a 1/8th turn more on the PTO....

Thats the proceedure I did on my GSXL when I had them rebuild my motor and had the Level 1 one there...
    Bet ya' the BR8ES rpm better, accelerate better! I would not switch to 9's till the compression was over 200psi on a 785 engine. But, what would I know about 785's..........................-BT

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    800's and 951's are completely different animals when it comes to compression and spark plug heat. 800's never need 9's, BT and I have run 8's for years (even my twin-plugged VE920 domes). There is always a 50 rpm loss with 9's, and poor idling.

The only accurate way to do a plug chop is kill it running wot, (10-15 seconds is better) pull them out, take a pic, put them back in, then idle wherever you want.

Thread Information