Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how strong is the electrical system on the MSX-140

I'm planning on adding a few accesories to my 2004 MSX-140. Namely VHF radio and a GPS chartplotter. Possibly a stereo. A lot of the water on the potomac river is "no-wake" and i'd enjoy being able to listen to a little music while i'm just puttering around. The VHF is a must have - I like trailering down to florida and riding around out in the ocean and snorkeling and the cell phone reception gets a little bad when you're 5 miles off the coast ;-} Standard Horizon makes a sweet black-box VHF radio, which means the delicate electronics are inside the hull in a sealed waterproof black box - and the controls are all on the mike which has a nice waterproof through-hull connector. Standby it uses 6 watts, receiving is 18 watts and transmitting either 18 watts, or 70 watts.

For GPS I'm thinking the Garmin GPSMap 178C, which draws 14 watts

I'm not quite sure how much power a radio will draw. If I had to guess - I'd say 50watts

So I'm trying to figure out of I need to install a secondary battery in the ski. Does anyone know how much power the MSX-140's stator puts out? I'd also appreciate any ideas on where (and how) to mount a second battery.

Thanks,
    Scott

+1

Cool

there stator but out alot,(don't have # right now @ home not shop)BUT big problem could be RF bleeding into F/I system and driveing it nuts

later cd

what can i do to minimize rf bleed?

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    there stator but out alot,(don't have # right now @ home not shop)BUT big problem could be RF bleeding into F/I system and driveing it nuts

later cd
    12 amp/160 watts, I’m not sure of the hotel load need for the ski to run
    As for RF just don't run ski and transmit
    cd

Go with a good handheld VHF?

+1
    Icom IC 50 perfect for the job

Cheers

Bernie

Adding an additional battery won't do you any good. If you consume more amperage than your stator produces, you will inevitably burn up your stator and or voltage regulator.

The good news is you should be fine anyhow. Watts = Volts X Amps

Your stater is about 36 watt. I don't know your model, but it would be close.
    At 12V, that would mean it produces 3 amps. Your garmin will take 1.2 amp which is fine. Even the ocasional transmit on high power would be O.K.

The only thing you need to worry about is how efficient your stereo is. Most draw 10 Amp which would be too much for you. A 30 amp hour battery would provide you with 3 hours of use with that 10 amp draw. You could add an additional battery and just charge it before each use....

+1
    I would install the larger battery like that of the BRP, I have photo's in my gallery. It's a simple matter of cutting out a little insulation for battery fitment. The cables and even the vent line reach.
    The battery reserve is AWESOME and I no longer worry about non-starts after using/playing with the GPS while the engine is off.
    By the way, the stator/voltage regulator charges the larger battery with no problems, enjoy the easier starts when cold as well.

I went looking through your gallery and couldn't find the photo you were talking about. What battery did you put in yours?

+1
    Its under Matrix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information