Sportster 155 hp questions

My neighbors just bought the 155 hp sporster and I am trying to help them with it. I have a two pwc (seadoo rx and yam fxho), so this is a bit new to me to. Couple of questions about the sportster.

1. How many miles can you get on a tank at: A) cruising speed of about 30 and B) at wot? We varied for the first tank and only got about 85 miles total and needed 21 gals when we filled up.

2. Since we needed 21 gals and it holds 21 gals, we were quite empty. Is there a low fuel warning? If so, it did not work.

3. When cleaning, does the water you get inside the riding area drain into the engine compartment and then out or are there hoses that drain it directly out?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

1. How many miles can you get on a tank at: A) cruising speed of about 30 and B) at wot? We varied for the first tank and only got about 85 miles total and needed 21 gals when we filled up.
    http://www.boattest.com/boats/935/test_results.aspx
    Boattest.com has some really good figures, at least for the SCIC Sportster, which will be somewhat similar to the fuel usage of your friend's naturally aspirated one. I'd say 85 miles is pretty good considering at the most efficient cruise speed, you will be getting only four and a half miles per gallon. A 26 gallon tank would have been so much more appropriate for this boat.

2. Since we needed 21 gals and it holds 21 gals, we were quite empty. Is there a low fuel warning? If so, it did not work.
    There's not an audible signal (thank God for that). Actually, I've got an '07 with an LCD display that blinks "LOW FUEL"; I don't know what the Sportster with the analog gauges does in that case. The "LOW FUEL" warning gets on my nerves, because unless I am more than half full, it will blink "LOW FUEL" like crazy on any turn. It needs a more regulated sensor that can average the level better, like as found in any car made in the last quarter century.

3. When cleaning, does the water you get inside the riding area drain into the engine compartment and then out or are there hoses that drain it directly out?
    It's a double-hull design; when you wash out the boat, the water is channelled not in the engine compartment, but in an empty area underneath it. I wish there was a bilge in there, because to really get most of that water out, you've got to be on a steep incline, like at a boat ramp, with the plugs open. I keep mine in a boathouse on a lift, so I never get that kind of incline to drain all the water out.

-Scott
    '07 Speedster 150 SCIC

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    I'm not sure about how many miles you can get out of one tank but I think the 155HP boat gets 7 miles to a gallon so I'm sure after the boat breaks in they will get a little better mileage. Ive never ran my tank down low enough for any low fuel warning so not sure about if it has one or not.

I do know that any water that gets into the ski locker area from washing the boat will drain into the engine compartment and out of the 2 drain plug holes in the rear of the boat. Any water that is on the floor of the boat drains into the deck drain hole located on the driver side floor, and that water drains out of the scupper valve also located at the rear of the boat.

If your neighbors ever take on a large amount of water inside the floor area tell them to open the ski locker lid so the water will down below and into the engine compartment where the bilde pump can pump it out.

I did notic that you have to have a pretty large amount of water inside the engine compartment/bildge area for the bildge to kick on automaticly.

Have a great summer

that is assuming the automatic function of the bilge pump even works which mine doesnt since it broke in the first 5 hours along with numerous other minor things. I took it out and examined its design, seems like a good idea that doesnt work, some kind of magnetic field effect sensor that is interrupted when its covered with water, however its of a sealed design but not sealed well enough apparantly since mine got water in it and killed it.

luckily the bilge pump still functions on a switch, just have to remember to turn it on and off when needed.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to let them know to watch the mileage and gas gauge since there is no warning. I know the warning can be annoying, but I can turn off the beeper on my yamaha so it isn't so bad. It seemed the gauge on the sportster moved very slow from full to half, then very fast from half to empty.

Thread Information