Jug Inspector

1995 XP800: What the F^(% am I missing?

Oh this is good. Question is after pics.

So I plug my lanyard in, I get one beep. Error code reads several things. Go to advanced diagnostic, get two short beeps. Could be defective key or wiring incorrect. Key tested OK by dealer (supposedly - they tried to get me to make an appt. to get it repaired right away). Post checks OK via multimeter.

So I open the grey box to test MPEM and DC-CDI with the multimeter against the values stated in the manual. Except they're asking me to check one lead on a certain wire and the other lead to posts with red wires, etc. Umm.. I don't have any posts with red wires and ring terminals. Odd. Time to investigate.

Can't find exact wiring diagrams or pictures of inside grey box at front of ski. BUT looking at parts diagrams - mine does NOT look right. So I look on Ebay and I everyone else with similiar grey boxes have 3 components in the box. CDI, MPEM, and rectifier/regulator. Mine however only has 2. The rectifier on one side and the ??? on the other side. The pics I've seen of the inside have the CDI strapped down, and the MPEM/rectifier on the other. The side that is supposed to have the CDI has what appears to be an over-sized MPEM (like 3 times as big), with a waterproof silicone-sealed control board and 2 fuses. It's bolted directly down and fits perfectly like it's supposed to.

Oh, and inside of box has 2 fuses, not 3 or 4 like the rest I've seen.

So someone please tell me WTF I have, and what I need or is compatible with my wiring and engine and would need to purchase. Was this one of the parts (maybe CDI amd MPEM are one piece?) that was specific to this ski and is a pain to replace? I think that the previous owner had the CDI external of the grey box for easy adjustment. Not sure though. And if I need to buy something and mod the crap out of it to get it to work I am perfectly fine with that.

Thanks ahead of time.

Bryan

help

i think its talking about your coil on a 96 its in the rear of the ski but on my 95 its in the grey box .your key is a dess?

Jug Inspector
    Yes, my key is DESS. My coils are in the back of the ski next to the battery. This 95 XP800 is close to the 96, but a little different.

Bryan

ok

ok go to ronnies.com they have a real good microfische system and it covers the 95 xp 800 also , it has diagrams of everything and you can zoom in real close . hope that helps you find what your missing

Jug Inspector
    Well I took the board off and took a look. Model # 278-001-202 , which is for a 98-99 SPX. Anyone wanna buy it?

Bryan

Thread Information