Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil level

Oil level

I know the oil level should be between the indention marks on the dipstick but do you check it when the engine is cold or warm? Mine is way under the marks when warm. Ok or not ok?

+1
    The best way to check the oil level is when it is hot and 1/4 over the first indention.

1/4 over the first indention. Man I am no where near that. The tip of it and that's it, I wonder how low I am.

Would having not enough oil cause a loss in speed?

+1
    I know to much is not good for the engine,1/4 to3/4 is good under the top indention but 1/4 is the best.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    ur oil WILL expand and move UP on the dipstick as the engine gets hot. if you check ur oil cold, and then check the oil warm and it's lower, ur doing something wrong.

best way to check the oil is to jsut ride the ski like u always do... on the way back to the ramp, get off the ski and check the oil while u are ont he dock. the ski will be sitting level and the oil will be piping hot and u'll get an accurate reading.

LOW oil won't cause speed or RPM lose, however HIGH oil can make u lose a couple hundred RPMs sometimes

u want the oil between the bends when hot

I checked my oil level today after riding, engine hot. The level on the dipstick is only at the tip of the stick, very low. If there is low oil wouldn't this increase heat and heat fade comes in to affect then causes speed loss?

+1
    Green Hornet, you are looking in all the wrong places for your speed loss.

Have you changed your wear ring yet?

Yes I have, I'm looking into my intercooler next it maybe clogged. I forgot that riding water goes in there. I thought it was part of the close loop system.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    if ur intercooler was that heavily clogged, the exhaust would be running hot.... mabve even overheat. After the water goes thru the tubes and fins of the stock internal intercooler, it goes to the exhaust manifold, so if ur intercooler is clogged ur starving the exhaust of cool water.

just flush the ski on the hose, that'll flush out the intercooler fine. It's gonna take some pretty shitty water conditions and sediment to block up the intercooler. there's a small strainer ni the pump the keeps the bulks crap out of the water lines so it won't clog the intercooler or anything... so i don't think your speed lose is due to intercooler cloggage

+1
    Low oil could shorten engine life !

If you have an aftermarket intercooler you SHOULD be running an inlet strainer to filter out even the smallest particals that could evidentually clog the intercooler. I always recommend a pressure tested strainer made by Groco. Part number WSB-750. This filter is clear and makes it easy to see just what you may have sucked up. You will be surprised to see what would have made it's way into your water intake. Just running the ski on the flush hose will not clean out a gunked up intercooler.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information