Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

hose to be clamped when towin

Anybody know which hose to clamp on the ultra 250 just in case it needs a tow back to the docks and you wanna go faster than 5mph??
    Last edited by ultraman250; 06-15-2007 at 02:15 AM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Ive towed many skis over the years, and never clamped any hoses off, I think if you get it up on plane its safe, just my opinion.

This is a very good question. If you tow it too fast, the vacum created in the pump will suck water in thru the cooling line; and if you tow it long enough / fast enough you will fill the engine with water. At 5 mph there is not enough "venturi" effect in the pump to suck water in thru the cooling line. I will be talking to my dealer (good dealer) about this early next week and report back (unless someone else knows the answer first).

Sea Doo explains this process very well with pictures in the manual that comes with the boat. . . .

If you tow a Seadoo withoug claming the hose you will have water in the engine$$$$. (98 GTXL)

I had the RXP and never towed it without clamping.

They teach in Coast Gurar classes to not two a ski more than 5mph or it will fill with water.

Maybe Kaw is very different???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    This is a very good question. If you tow it too fast, the vacum created in the pump will suck water in thru the cooling line; and if you tow it long enough / fast enough you will fill the engine with water. At 5 mph there is not enough "venturi" effect in the pump to suck water in thru the cooling line. I will be talking to my dealer (good dealer) about this early next week and report back (unless someone else knows the answer first).

Sea Doo explains this process very well with pictures in the manual that comes with the boat. . . .
    If its up on plane the exhaust port is out of the water.

In the first hour of operation I sucked a rock I couldn't get out without taking the pump apart, so I had a 20-30 minute tow, at 10-15 mph. Didn't know about clamping hoses, and I ended up fine.

So don't know if it's not an issue, or I just got lucky.

+1
    i remember reading somewhere in the manual to not tow the 250 more than 5mph but it does not indicate which hose to clamp if you wanna tow it more than 5mph. I guess its for the same reason as the seadoos. Water can go to your engine thru the exhaust.

+1
    Like i said earlier, if its up on plane how is water going to get in the exhaust? I have towed many skis for many years with none of the taking water in.I towed my 250 behind my boat 2 weeks ago at @ 35 mph.

IMO, it's unlikely that there's enough pressure going thru the jetpump for water to reach the airbox muffler since the impeller is not moving and acts as a semi barrier.. BUT since the manual cautions against towing the craft above 5mph. Clamp all 3 cooling hoses. Better to err on the safe side.

hose#1 goes straight to the cylinder head. #2 to the output shaft cover then to the oil cooler. From the oil cooler, it goes to the other end of the cylinder head. Water that goes to the cylinder head end up either thru the exhaust manifold or the airbox muffler. hose #3 goes straight to the intercooler. intercooler is also connected to the exhaust manifold. If water do reach the exhaust manifold from the intercooler(VERY UNLIKELY), it would flow towards the cylinder head then to the airbox muffler.

Correction..

No need to clamp hose#3. Intercooler has another outlet that drains out the back of the ski. Impossible for water to reach exhaust manifold thru this hose.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information