Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    68

    Watcon pitch gauge gives surprising results

    The following are the measurements of my untouched Solas 14/19R. Leading edge pitch: 12,12,12,12. Trailing edge: 19,17,18,15. These readings were taken using the Waton instuctions "find the line on the gauge that aligns with the center (of the thickness) of the impeller blade at the very end. In all fairness, for the leading edge, if you measure the thrust side of the blade the numbers would be 13,13,13,13. But at least these were consistant. Maybe there are variations between gauges. The trailing edge numbers are really concerning. The corresponding measurements from a flat surface to 1" from the trailing edge were: 13 mm,12 mm, 13 mm, 11 mm. They say small changes to the impeller can make big changes in performance.

    A couple of years ago, I had my stock impeller repitched by one of the big impeller shops. This was to be used with a Riva Stage 1 setup. I was never able to turn that prop at proper RPM. The shop offered to redo it but at the time I bought a 14/19 instead. I now know why I couldn't turn it. Trailing edge:20,21,21,20. Leading edge:12,11,11,11.

    My point is, you guys trying to get every .1 MPH or wonder why some boats are faster than others with the same setup, this could be one of the areas to look at.

    I think the $100 for the gauge is well worth it, especially if a group of you guys could share one. And no I have no affiliation with Watcon, I didn't know they existed until two weeks ago.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    euxton nr chorley lancashire, england
    Posts
    1,500
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra/RXP View Post
    The following are the measurements of my untouched Solas 14/19R. Leading edge pitch: 12,12,12,12. Trailing edge: 19,17,18,15. These readings were taken using the Waton instuctions "find the line on the gauge that aligns with the center (of the thickness) of the impeller blade at the very end. In all fairness, for the leading edge, if you measure the thrust side of the blade the numbers would be 13,13,13,13. But at least these were consistant. Maybe there are variations between gauges. The trailing edge numbers are really concerning. The corresponding measurements from a flat surface to 1" from the trailing edge were: 13 mm,12 mm, 13 mm, 11 mm. They say small changes to the impeller can make big changes in performance.

    A couple of years ago, I had my stock impeller repitched by one of the big impeller shops. This was to be used with a Riva Stage 1 setup. I was never able to turn that prop at proper RPM. The shop offered to redo it but at the time I bought a 14/19 instead. I now know why I couldn't turn it. Trailing edge:20,21,21,20. Leading edge:12,11,11,11.

    My point is, you guys trying to get every .1 MPH or wonder why some boats are faster than others with the same setup, this could be one of the areas to look at.

    I think the $100 for the gauge is well worth it, especially if a group of you guys could share one. And no I have no affiliation with Watcon, I didn't know they existed until two weeks ago.
    fair play to you, i'll have to get one cos i'm still measuring my trailin edge on a flat suface, i must say though when my retrimmed prop goes back in, with a new wear ring its all new again, my 05 has eaten 7 wear rings already

  3. #3
    cyoungesq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bridgeport, CT
    Posts
    217

    Watcon gauge

    I was checking these out but not sure which size diameter to get . . . which one is needed for our impellers?

  4. #4
    Hydrotoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    16,712
    +1
    85
    A bunch of folks have mentioned that the blades being pitched off a little is not an accident.

    Make it perfect, and you may/may not make it better.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    A bunch of folks have mentioned that the blades being pitched off a little is not an accident.

    Make it perfect, and you may/may not make it better.
    I can't say you're not right, but I would be really, really, really, amased.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rydal, Georgia U S A
    Posts
    3,936
    +1
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra/RXP View Post
    I can't say you're not right, but I would be really, really, really, amased.

    I HAD a really good impeller and cleaned it up... it was never the same.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    68
    The Solas 14/19 I descibed did perform better after I cleaned it up. If there is a benefit for an impeller to be "off a bit", it would not be in some random way. You know there actually is science and physics behind the design of an impeller. If you told me every other blade should be 1 degree different and why, that would be a different discussion.

  8. #8
    dan725's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northeast ohio
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra/RXP View Post
    The following are the measurements of my untouched Solas 14/19R. Leading edge pitch: 12,12,12,12. Trailing edge: 19,17,18,15. These readings were taken using the Waton instuctions "find the line on the gauge that aligns with the center (of the thickness) of the impeller blade at the very end. In all fairness, for the leading edge, if you measure the thrust side of the blade the numbers would be 13,13,13,13. But at least these were consistant. Maybe there are variations between gauges. The trailing edge numbers are really concerning. The corresponding measurements from a flat surface to 1" from the trailing edge were: 13 mm,12 mm, 13 mm, 11 mm. They say small changes to the impeller can make big changes in performance.

    A couple of years ago, I had my stock impeller repitched by one of the big impeller shops. This was to be used with a Riva Stage 1 setup. I was never able to turn that prop at proper RPM. The shop offered to redo it but at the time I bought a 14/19 instead. I now know why I couldn't turn it. Trailing edge:20,21,21,20. Leading edge:12,11,11,11.

    My point is, you guys trying to get every .1 MPH or wonder why some boats are faster than others with the same setup, this could be one of the areas to look at.

    I think the $100 for the gauge is well worth it, especially if a group of you guys could share one. And no I have no affiliation with Watcon, I didn't know they existed until two weeks ago.
    I know this is an old thread, but I have to say that Every prop I've sent to have repitched came back scrap.

  9. #9
    SeaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, N.C.
    Posts
    2,214
    +1
    2
    If you're going to mod your ski a little here and a little there then the watcon is a must buy. My oem prop was different on all 4 blades and after matching them up and making them the pitch they were supposed to be, my ski picked up 1.5 mph.

  10. #10
    West Texas RXP skoepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west texas
    Posts
    12,019
    +1
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra/RXP View Post
    The following are the measurements of my untouched Solas 14/19R. Leading edge pitch: 12,12,12,12. Trailing edge: 19,17,18,15. These readings were taken using the Waton instuctions "find the line on the gauge that aligns with the center (of the thickness) of the impeller blade at the very end. In all fairness, for the leading edge, if you measure the thrust side of the blade the numbers would be 13,13,13,13. But at least these were consistant. Maybe there are variations between gauges. The trailing edge numbers are really concerning. The corresponding measurements from a flat surface to 1" from the trailing edge were: 13 mm,12 mm, 13 mm, 11 mm. They say small changes to the impeller can make big changes in performance.

    A couple of years ago, I had my stock impeller repitched by one of the big impeller shops. This was to be used with a Riva Stage 1 setup. I was never able to turn that prop at proper RPM. The shop offered to redo it but at the time I bought a 14/19 instead. I now know why I couldn't turn it. Trailing edge:20,21,21,20. Leading edge:12,11,11,11.

    My point is, you guys trying to get every .1 MPH or wonder why some boats are faster than others with the same setup, this could be one of the areas to look at.

    I think the $100 for the gauge is well worth it, especially if a group of you guys could share one. And no I have no affiliation with Watcon, I didn't know they existed until two weeks ago.

    I check all my props and others on Watcon. Findings are always very imformative.
    I suggest once you have checked your props and tested them, take that data and let a pro repitch it for you.
    It is the cheapest mod you can do once you start modding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS Watcon Impeller Pitch Gauge - 155 to 160mm $100
    By aha in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 12:22 AM
  2. FS - Parts watcon pitch gauges
    By TxVirageTx in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 08:54 PM
  3. Impeller pitch gauge
    By apache in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
  4. FS watcon pitch gauge and impeler tool
    By pdxrealtor in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
  5. WTB WTB Watcon Pitch gauge
    By krouchchocolate in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •