Thread: 98/99 GTX

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar

98/99 GTX

ok, i'm a GPR guy but my friend is looking for a ski (or2) and he found some GTX's. I explained to him what the Yamaha's are all about and I know what to look for there. I'm not firmiliar with the GTX's or their 'main problems' at all. there is a 98 carb'd GTX 720 (not sure i think it was 700 or 720) and a 99 EFI GTX (850? 800?) can't remember what numbers he said. they are both on a trailer for 5500$.

1. what problems should I look for. I know compression and hours important.

2. what are things that may go wrong in the future? (with this specific craft)

3. is the price about right? i'm not sure of the condition or hours i just spoke with him and he'd like some info.

thanks guys

Ben

NO HELP? ttt real nice, even a slight comment would help.

Ben, if they are the gtx limiteds, it would be the 951 motors. If not definately 800's. I know of no problems with the rfi's, the carbed motor had some kind of problem/recall on the exhaust gasket , someone else will chime in on that.
    Of course compression check, pump wear ring etc.. These are good ski's, very stable 2 up etc... All depends on how they were maintained. If they were taken care of, should be ok. Personally would stay away from the 98 , something just rings a bell about that 951 motor.. The price is a little steep, knock it down to 5 grand if you can, good luck with that this time of yr.....BigT

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    +1
    5500. sounds good to me if they are in good shape, wife has the 00 millinium edition with 800RFI motor, had it rebuilt at 160 hours, no other troubles on that boat. on a 60 mile jaunt, i paid 13.00 for gas on the gtx rfi and on a modded stxr1200 kaw, i spent 47.00 in gas!!!! the gtx handles very well, on of the most stable couch's out there

thanks guys- any more?

the 98 had a recall to update the airbox to help keep wqater from spraying into it when the pipe manifold gasket started leaking and to put a rubber thing around the pipe/ manifold connection. There is a procedure on sea-doo.net that outlines how to install doubled gaskets to fix/prevent the leak. The 99 RFI's had electrical problems. The rectifier had to be replaced to get it to charge, $125 part, all the originals went bad or are bad or about to fail. I don't really like the 99 RFI because everyone that I knew that had one always had something wrong with it. 99 was the first year for RFI's, later years were much better.

Thread Information