Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Question on air inlet hoses------>>>>>

On the ultra 250, both front and rear inlet hoses go down as close to the bottom of the hull as possible and turn to the opposite side of the craft.

Can anybody provide the logic for this without speculation?

My interest is to shorten and point both front inlets toward the intake yet keeping a safe distance away so water will not get ingested.

I can see getting innocous water to the bottom of the hull important, but i do not see the logic for purposes of preventing water ingestion while capsized so long as the tubes reach past half way the depth of hull. I have not givin this too much thought and was looking for the knowlegeable vet to answer to save my brain from hurting.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
    Last edited by earthshaker; 06-16-2007 at 04:29 PM.

I know you said you wanted non-speculative answers but I am going to speculate anyway. My guess is that the hoses are directed in a manner that will remove heat from the engine compartment most efficiently. I imagine the design is similar to the brake duct cooling hoses on my race car. The idea being to get flow over the biggest part of the engine and evacuate the hot air as quickly as possible. Sorry for the guess!

Wink

OK.
    #1 to vent combustible marine relate fumes. (main purpose) Fumes settle on the bottom.
    #2 to help reduce hull heat
    #3 to keep water from rushing into the hull from a capsize situation.
    When your turned over and trying to up-rite the unit, you could cause it to submerge below the water line. With the vents on the bottom of the hull it can not take on water. This is done for an added measure to reduce the possibility of a scuttled ship.
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 06-16-2007 at 04:39 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Monster View Post
    OK.
    #1 to vent combustible marine relate fumes. (main purpose) Fumes settle on the bottom.
    #2 to help reduce hull heat
    #3 to keep water from rushing into the hull from a capsize situation.
    When your turned over and trying to up-rite the unit, you could cause it to submerge below the water line. With the vents on the bottom of the hull it can not take on water. This is done for an added measure to reduce the possibility of a scuttled ship.
    "but i do not see the logic for purposes of preventing water ingestion while capsized so long as the tubes reach past half way the depth of hull."

I should have also been a bit more clear and specific too.

I was figuring half way as the air trapped inside the hull would resist the intake of water, but i was only guessing and i have not seen an ultra capsized and how deep it sits. I was confident they were in there for reducing influx of water and was more interested what i could safely get away with re:hose routing (as i wanted to point the tubes in the direction of the air filter, yet far enough away to not allow water splash ((and in my case, blown with force)). This might be moot, (pointing), and i might just leave the factory layout as i will be pumping in up to 200 cfm and could point one of them at the least.

I can see some logic now for the 90 degree turn....for when you are actually in the middle of "righting" the craft.

Anyone care to add their expertise or have interest in adding inline bilge blowers to their inlets also?

Only thing I can give info about is capsizing the 250x....

It fills the hull quite a bit.

When I popped the seat after I pulled it out of the water, the water was about 5-7 inches deep.

The biggest problem I had with flipping it was the back flow of oil from the pan through the catch can and into the intake. Ski ran like shit on the way back to the dock.

No water was ingested at all though.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Ive removed those hoses front and rear, like I do with every ski I have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcolog2 View Post
    It fills the hull quite a bit.

When I popped the seat after I pulled it out of the water, the water was about 5-7 inches deep.
    Is the water level below the drive shaft? If it was submerged, you'd need to have the pulley bearing replaced then drain water in the supercharger.

Also check if there's water in the air box drain cap. If there is, remove the drain plug of the inlet manifold..

I dont remember if it was above the driveshaft or not. It was a week and a half ago.

The air intake drain tube was filled with oil. Lots of oil lol. I didn't see any water.

Can you explain more about the driveshaft being submerged?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Ive removed those hoses front and rear, like I do with every ski I have ever had.
    Isn't the reason you have a new ultra because you scuttled your last craft by removing the hoses? lol, just kidding...

Have you ever had one upside down without hoses? Didn't it take on a BUNCH of water??

That doesn't sound like a good idea for ocean/river waters but maybe you know something i don't.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    Isn't the reason you have a new ultra because you scuttled your last craft by removing the hoses? lol, just kidding...

Have you ever had one upside down without hoses? Didn't it take on a BUNCH of water??

That doesn't sound like a good idea for ocean/river waters but maybe you know something i don't.
    I cant remeber the last time I flipped a ski actually, its been a long while, I think the last ski I had that I flipped was a Seadoo back in the early 90's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information