Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting Problems

I have a 95 and a 93 sl750. Just bought them, guy had them running last year. When I try to start the 95, the starter relay will just click. If I use the same battery on the 93, it will turn over... but very sluggish.

I am trickle charging the batteries now, however do you think thats the issue? We tired jump starting the ski.. however it still clicked.

It sounds likely, However you should not jump them, this can cause damage to the electrical system.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First check to see if you can turn the crank by hand with the plugs removed and engine coupler cover removed. Then try putting 12V directly to the starter to see if it turns over. That may tell you if the solenoid is bad.

The battery is now fully charged, put it on the 95 and it still just make a click when i push the starter. I took out the spark plugs and was able to turn the shaft and each cyclinder moved correctly. I also tried a new ground wire, and a new grounding point. No dice. Do you think its something with the starter?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    3 things possibly, starter solenoid, starter, or bendix. Put 12V directly to the starter to see if it will crank, if so it's the solenoid. CAUTION: it may spark, so if you have gas vapors in the hull, let it air out first. If still no crank, remove the starter and test on the bench with 12V to it. (remember to ground it) If it turns, then it's the bendix. Good luck.

I'm trying to get to the starter... I cannot seem to get to the bolts on exhaust manifold #1. I have unbolted the exahust pipe, but i cannot remove it from the ski until the manifold is off. Is there a trick to this?

+1
    You have to remove the bracket at the front and slide the pipe forward.

I removed the bracket and that helped get the two off. Now i noticed there is a third bolt, I have no idea how to take that off... the exhaust won't slide up that far.

I got the starter off... that manifold is a pain in the ass. Thanks for help!

Wink

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who may have this issue later.

I basically followed the troubleshooting steps list on this forum and the guidance from some of the pros on here.

I frist tried cleaning all the grounds and inspecting the wires. I then tried to by pass the selanoid in the box above the battery. To do this I connected a jumper cable to the power wire that runs directly to the starter and connected to a battery. If you do not hear the starter crank at this point, remove the jumper cable, as you will notice things will get hot very quickly.

When both of these failed, I decided to remove the exahaust and manifold, and remove the starter. (this takes time and patience your first time) I then tested the starter out of the ski by placing the jumper cable on the + post and grounding it on the case. I found it was locked up. I replaced it with a used starter, and it started right up.

*One thing I have read over and over on here is to make sure you look at the basic items or little things first. Removing the manifold and the exhaust is not fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information