Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Very Poor numbers with a Stage 2 RXP

Well I completed the installation of the XS intercooler, Solas 15/20 prop, and new wear ring. My full setup is listed in my signature. I can't turn more than 7800 RPM and cannot touch 70mph. My best run was a 69.4mph. The ski also feels like a dog out of the hole.

Here is some history on the ski...Completely stock it was a 68+mph ski at 8100 RPM. Last year I installed the full Riva Stage 1 kit and it was a 71mph ski at 8100~8150 RPM. This spring when I got it back out it was down to 68mph at 8100 RPM. After sending my supercharger to Jerry and having him install his washers with the Vortech supercharger wheel I was running 69mph at 8100 RPM. I then installed the Riva thru hull exhaust and was still 69mph at 8100~8150 RPM.

Now here I am with a Riva Stage 2 equivalent ski and still can't break 70mph and am now at 7800 RPM. Guys, I honestly have no clue where to look for my lost speed. My RPM seem to be what I expected, but I expected to see AT LEAST 74mph with all that I've done. The wear ring is BRAND NEW also.

1.) I don't understand where 3mph went from last fall to this spring. The ski was winterized.

2.) I don't understand why I'm only running 69mph with a Stage 2 RXP?

I would start with checking the S/C slip moment. Maybe a new set of spring washers are in order. IF the slip moment is good, look for a boost leak. loose clamps on the couplers or maybe the I/C blockoff could use a bead of silicone around it.
    I would not touch the prop until you eliminate the first 2 things I listed as causes. There is NO WAY you should be going that slow...

Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    I would start with checking the S/C slip moment. Maybe a new set of spring washers are in order. IF the slip moment is good, look for a boost leak. loose clamps on the couplers or maybe the I/C blockoff could use a bead of silicone around it.
    I would not touch the prop until you eliminate the first 2 things I listed as causes. There is NO WAY you should be going that slow...
    Thanks for the quick reply Steve, but I highly doubt the SC clutch has anything to do with it. Jerry worked his magic on it less than a month ago and everything was perfect with it.

Im thinking there could be a boost leak too, but I dont have a boost guage to tell me for sure. Will it cause that big of a loss?

I'm thinking it could be something with the engine itself because I still don't understand how I lost 3 mph from last fall to this spring before I started modding.

Should I check the compression in the engine? What other info can I provide you guys with to help me diagnose the problem?

Did Jerry install new spring washers? If not how many hours were on them prior? A boost leak will KILL the performance for sure.

I'd still look at the SC'er again to rule it out, then boost leak, then go over your ski with a comb and make sure all the hoses are tight. Compression test is next after that- what octane fuel has the machine been fed?

+1
    Try a 4" intake maybe?
    That's a 100+ rpm increase there but you're still low.
    Oil level is good?
    Plugs are good?
    how about injectors?
    Are you running stock one's still? I know the S3 wheel & IC requires the 42lb but I saw an increase in rpm with your exact same setup, except I ran a 3 blade, with stock injectors & the R&D power shot. I'd set it to level "0" & would lose rpm (7960), Set it to anywhere from "5" to "8" & I would see 160-200 rpm easily. OCGPR was with me when I did this. Just a thought.
    You wanna try my power shot? It plugs into your injectors & your OEM injector plugs piggy back into the power shot. No wires needed, it's plug & pray, I mean play. I have 42lb's in now & if I add more fuel over level "2" setting I lose rpm = too rich, So I can do without it for a while.

Oh, I ride mostly in 1250 ft alt. & sometimes in 860 ft.

Let me know, I have no problem lending it out to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    Did Jerry install new spring washers? If not how many hours were on them prior? A boost leak will KILL the performance for sure.
    No, he did not install new spring washers. They only have 60 hours on them, and he said the whole supercharger was in great condition.

Quote Originally Posted by smc View Post
    I'd still look at the SC'er again to rule it out, then boost leak, then go over your ski with a comb and make sure all the hoses are tight. Compression test is next after that- what octane fuel has the machine been fed?
    All hoses are good. Ski has never had less than 91 octane in it and never more than 93 octane in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Try a 4" intake maybe?
    That's a 100+ rpm increase there but you're still low.
    Oil level is good?
    Plugs are good?
    how about injectors?
    Are you running stock one's still? I know the S3 wheel & IC requires the 42lb but I saw an increase in rpm with your exact same setup, except I ran a 3 blade, with stock injectors & the R&D power shot. I'd set it to level "0" & would lose rpm (7960), Set it to anywhere from "5" to "8" & I would see 160-200 rpm easily. OCGPR was with me when I did this. Just a thought.
    You wanna try my power shot? It plugs into your injectors & your OEM injector plugs piggy back into the power shot. No wires needed, it's plug & pray, I mean play. I have 42lb's in now & if I add more fuel over level "2" setting I lose rpm = too rich, So I can do without it for a while.

Oh, I ride mostly in 1250 ft alt. & sometimes in 860 ft.

Let me know, I have no problem lending it out to ya.
    I was thinking about going to the Riva rear intake, but I'd like to eliminate some problems before I mod it more. I figure since the XS IC doesn't increase your RPM as much as the Riva IC that I may have to go to the Riva rear intake so I don't have to repitch the prop. If that be the case I would like to see my RPM get to at least 8000, because like you said the Riva rear intake is only another 100+ RPM over what I have now.

Oil level is perfect, exactly halfway between the two bends and it was changed along with the oil filter 2 weeks ago.

Plugs are old though. I guess I could order some Denso IXU27 plugs and see if that changes anything.

Injectors are the original stock 38# ones. Im only running the Riva Stage 2 SC wheel, so the bigger injectors are not required for my setup. As for the powershot I'll pass, but thanks for the offer.

+1
    Try the plugs.
    If all else fails shoot me a PM & try the R&D.

+1
    Hmmm, have you put a fresh set of plugs in lately...

EDIT: ahh, sorry I see they are old, so yes new plugs before you do anything else.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 06-16-2007 at 08:03 PM.

need a 15/19 prop for a stage 2 dont use a 15/20 till a stage 3.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information