Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

'96 SL 780 bouncing, enough is enough!

Hey all!

I know this was probably talked about many times but i have to ask anyway to get some answers.

Here's what i have. 1996 SL 780. r&d intake scoop, skat-trak 13/18 swirl, and a 5 degree pump wedge.

Everytime i ride with my g/f (or any 2 other people that ride it) it bounces like crazy. I have the trim adjusted all the way to -5 and it still bounces. I also tried adding lots of weight in the storage compartment in the front (it helps but it also slows it down).

Now what i have done is flipped the pump wedge upside down (thick part on top) this way it forces the nose down even more. That helped it some.

So now, i am debating on buying an r&d extended plate, but i dont want to bother wasting my money if its not going to do anything.

What else can be done? Besides, not running with a passenger or buying a different ski. I know these models were bad for bouncing there must be some ways to eliminate this.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by workaholic View Post
    Hey all!

I know this was probably talked about many times but i have to ask anyway to get some answers.

Here's what i have. 1996 SL 780. r&d intake scoop, skat-trak 13/18 swirl, and a 5 degree pump wedge. Loose the wedge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime i ride with my g/f (or any 2 other people that ride it) it bounces like crazy. I have the trim adjusted all the way to -5 and it still bounces. I also tried adding lots of weight in the storage compartment in the front (it helps but it also slows it down).

Now what i have done is flipped the pump wedge upside down (thick part on top) this way it forces the nose down even more. That helped it some.

So now, i am debating on buying an r&d extended plate, but i dont want to bother wasting my money if its not going to do anything.

What else can be done? Besides, not running with a passenger or buying a different ski. I know these models were bad for bouncing there must be some ways to eliminate this.

Thanks!
    AND BUY AN EXTENDED RIDE PLATE!

A set of stock sponsons also helps, adding extended pump w/o wedge, and keeping the fuel tank above 1/2 tank will all help.

Try the short ocean-pro ride plate, That worked best for me. Mine dont bounce any more!

+1
    get the ocean pro rideplate. This eliminated the bounce.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29981

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    Ok so i took off my beach house sponsons from my pro 785
    to race cars on US-1
    (thinking that i could pick up 2 mph)
    WRONG
    It bucked like my 95sl 750 has for the last 9 years
    A BOUNCHY 57MPH !!!!!!!!!
    so I jumped in the water, screwed them back on -----
    WHAMO-WHAT A RIDE-63MPH
    I THINK BEEERDART SAID IT SOMEWHERE..but didnt find
    In the debate on ride plates for porpusing he said "SPONSONS"
    But I never listen--- MAN THATS GOT TO STOP
    I can see it now THE SPONSONS PUSH THE ASS DOWN INTO THE WATER AND HOLDS IT THERE THATS THE ANGLE OF THE DANGLE
    SO TO ALL MY FELLOW SL BROTHERS WITH NO SPONSONS
    I WANT TO SAY I AM GETTING THEM ON THE SL750 AS SOON AS UPS GETS HERE----IM DONE SWAPPING RIDE PLATES AROUND

BIG BIG P.S.WE ARE NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT TURNING
    JUST STRIGHT LINE HOOK-UP
    MY 2 CENTS
    MATTMAN

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Keyz, I just read that and was gonna drop your link here also. Thanks for sharing the experience.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29981

+1
    BD actually stated he added the SPLASH intake grate and solved his porpoising issue.

ok, i think i am going to try changing the intake grate and/or the ride plate.

Here is what i have to play with for grates. R&D scoop, ocean pro grate, and the stock grate.

As for ride plates, i am considering buying the r&D speed plate (slighty entended), ocean pro extended or some other type (look at the attached pic).

I would simply just installl sponsons but i want to still be able to do my spins

Now, will i be able to do the spins eve with an ocean pro plate? (I noticed that their plate has 2 long grooves in it).

Can someone tell me abou this plate thats attached? Would it be good? This way i could still have use of my trim (somewhat). Would i be able to do the spins with it? or will it just buck me oof the side?

Thanks again guys!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    OP plates will still spin out, with the long pump, for sure!!! Speedplate may not do much for the porpoising. Look for a stock SLX plate, I think that's ideal for what you're describing. Uh, nice pic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information