New guy, and impeller/wear ring issues

Hey everyone, got ahold of two '95 SL650's and a rebuilt 750 from SBT. Between all that I'm hoping to end up with one good ski, which has brought me here. Been lurking for a few days now, already learned a good amount. Hopefully there will come a day where I can help others on here.

One of the skis looks much better and had a freshwater life, so everything's going into it. The other lived on salt water and is for parts if needed.

In the meantime I've already run into crap. I've pulled the jet pump off the freshwater ski, and the impeller has NO clearance, won't spin. Ok lets see how the saltwater ski that sat for years looks. Same thing, no clearance and you couldn't turn that impeller with a big wrench if you wanted to. The wear ring on the freshwater ski isn't damaged, and the impeller spins freely with wear ring taken off. Is it possible to file down the impeller for the desired clearance and polish out the wear ring, or is a new jet pump the route to go? If so, anyone selling?

+1
    myst, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!! Don't ruin the impeller, get the parts to make it right. Check with John Zigler, he'll have something.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Like he said ^^^^. Just get a different wear ring (Ebay or John Zigler). Or you can try a piston hone? The clearances are very close .05-.20 is desired. .51 is the limit.

Thanks for the welcome and replies. From searching it seems that there's an inner wear ring within the housing? I'm still not sure because I can't find any replacement rings, but many for sea-doos. If there's no inner ring, guess I better look for that wear ring housing. Done lots of searching, but not much info on this subject pertaining to the polaris. Looks easy for the sea-doos. Cut the old ring out, freeze the housing, push new ring in. Is it that simple for the sl650?

Also it looks like I'm going to need to purchase an engine alignment tool, but does someone also make an impeller removal tool?

Hmmm, xclint89 I've also seen the use of a cylinder hone somewhere else on here too. Perhaps that is another option, because after continued searching it's looking less and less like that inner wear ring is readily available, or I just haven't found one yet.

I looked around on John Zigler's page, also looks like only the wear ring housing is available. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The entire housing is the wear ring. I have seen a "liner" before but I'm not sure which ski uses it, and it would require alot of work when you can buy one for $30 - $40 on Ebay. There are impeller removal tools you can buy for around $25 or you can use an old driveshaft. The engine alignment tool can be purchased or rented from Beerdart, shoot him a PM when you're about ready for use.

Thread Information