Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller qustion.

Need Help,

This is my first pwc and after taking it out this weekend and inspecting the propeller I see this. The burr on the right side is rough and I plan on smoothing that out. Should I worry about the ding and pitch on the impeller? How bad will it affect speed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impller01.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	28224  

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    It will probably make it cavitate some, Id send to a good impellar shop and have it fixed.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
    Need Help,

This is my first pwc and after taking it out this weekend and inspecting the propeller I see this. The burr on the right side is rough and I plan on smoothing that out. Should I worry about the ding and pitch on the impeller? How bad will it affect speed?

I would not repair it until you learn to keep the ski in deep water when it`s running and never open the throttle near shore.

Angry

Thanks guys, BTW, my son did this and he is in the dog house right now.

Wink

I would find a good aftermarket impeller through R-Rated @ 1-732-606-1166 ask for Rudy. Replace the SS wear ring and make the kid stand on shore and watch all day long.
    Make him pay for the damage with yard work and anything you can add to it.

That sounds like the right direction to go. I have seen chat about salas impellers too. Should I look there? I like the idea that you provided me with location and contact. Wondering if I should upgrade the rideplate and intake grate??? What is the SS wear ring?

Thank you for your help!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
    That sounds like the right direction to go. I have seen chat about salas impellers too. Should I look there? I like the idea that you provided me with location and contact. Wondering if I should upgrade the rideplate and intake grate??? What is the SS wear ring?

Thank you for your help!
    I would not change the intake grate.
    I would only talk to Rudy at R-Rated. He is testing impellers and will give you the straight scoop on what works.
    The SS wear ring (stainless steel) looks chewed up too.
    Replace it or you`ll have cavitation problem`s and low top speed.
    While your there buy the pump stuffer/ seal kit from Rudy too.
    Ride plate would also be a good idea. Buy the Riva ride plate.

That doesn't look that bad but I can't tell for sure. The majority of the damage to the pump housing is in front of the impeller which is a good thing. If the leading edge of the impeller is just dinged in that one area and not tweaked along the entire edge you should be ok.

If it were me, I would clean up the pump burrs and straighten the ding before replacing anything and see how it runs. As far as I can recall, there isn't a wear ring and a new pump is about $500. The stock prop is $325ish and a aftermarket one would be $200-250. There hasn't been any general population testing of an off the shelf aftermarket impeller yet so I would wait in getting one unless yours is truely trashed. Same goes for the Riva ride plate.

Give me a call if you need a hand.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    That doesn't look that bad but I can't tell for sure. The majority of the damage to the pump housing is in front of the impeller which is a good thing. If the leading edge of the impeller is just dinged in that one area and not tweaked along the entire edge you should be ok.

If it were me, I would clean up the pump burrs and straighten the ding before replacing anything and see how it runs. As far as I can recall, there isn't a wear ring and a new pump is about $500. The stock prop is $325ish and a aftermarket one would be $200-250. There hasn't been any general population testing of an off the shelf aftermarket impeller yet so I would wait in getting one unless yours is truely trashed. Same goes for the Riva ride plate.

Give me a call if you need a hand.

Eric
    I agree. My pump takes a beating with the band line starts in shallow waters. When you get 8 boats on the line throttled up you get tons of crap in the pump.
    We just clean it up and straighten any dings in the prop.

You pump looks good. Not great but not bad at all.
    You can measure the gap and the info for that is in this entry.
    http://www.floridasmarthomes.com/teammoto/?cat=22

Rule of thumb is always do a pump flush before starting the engine. Whats this? Its when you pull your ski off the shore line, get it in a few foot of water and push down then lift up on the rear platform of your ski. This rocking causes water to flush out the pump. Usually it gets most of the sand and any junk the got working in while beached. Also it helps avoid getting sand into the intercooler.

First off, thanks for everyone's feedback.

I pulled the pump last night and everything else looks really good except for all the silicon everywhere. What a mess to clean up.

Now for the impeller; I talked to Rudy last night and he told me there are no after market impellers I should go with right now. Also, he recommended I contact "Props by Nettle" in Austin. They no longer work on impellers. So, should I just try and straighten it out myself. From what I understand these small dings are common and I can take care of it myself. What tool do you need to get the impeller off? Is it expensive?

-jrr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information