Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Go syntetic or mineral oil for RXP?

Should I go with Syntetic OIL or just regular Oil for the RXP? Why is Riva selling Syntetic OIL for RXP??? Help me out please...

Use only NON synthetic oil on your supercharged RXP. I use Castol GTX 10W-40 as do a lot of people on this board. Good luck and enjoy your RXP. T C

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    BRP sent out a bulletin about 2 years ago insturcting everyone NOT to use synthetic in any supercharged machine as they believe the friction modifers cause the clutch t slip and fail.

use only regular motor oil... ie Castrol GTX 10W-40 is what most of us use

Oils other than synthetics also contain "Friction modifiers". BRP should have said, don't use an oil with Friction modifiers. There are Synthetics that don't have friction modifiers and work just fine in the RXP (Amsoil makes several).

+1
    I can't help but feel like the service bulletin put out by BRP in 2003 warning not to use synthetic oil was geared more to the steel clutch discs used at the time and not the ceramic used today. I'd be chicken to try it, but wouldn't it be sweet if using synthetic would alleviate most of the clutch problems being experienced now !! An undetectable bit of well lubricated slippage might prevent the ceramic from shattering. (??)

Richard

Well, I have been running the Amsoil Synthetic with no friction modifiers for over 30 hrs with no problems. Clutch failures I had were running non-synthetic Castrol. (one slip, one explode)

+1
    if there was a better filter or screen right near the SC clutch that would catch all the ceramics and save my oil pumps, i'd throw 100% synthetic in there and see what happens... but i'm chicken too

There is NOTHING wrong with using synthetic oil for your 4tec....people really need to stop saying there is.

The problem is that most 'off the shelf' sythetics (all actually) for motor vehicles contain additives - it is these additives which are not compatible with the supercharger clutch.

Amsoil makes TWO synthetic oils specifically without additives that are solely meant for wet clutch systems - one for motorcycles and one for other 4stroke vehicles.

There are plenty of us that have been running the Amsoil without issue for several seasons now. I've sold Amsoil to several people on this board, on SDN and on my own forum - not a single ski has blown their clutch system (or blown up for any other reason).

Steel or ceramic might make a difference to the additives, but for an oil specifically made for a clutch environment it makes absolutely no difference at all.

+1
    pete.... i remember erin (steach) telling me you have a hookup on AMSOIL. since u and others are running it, that's enough testimony for me...I'm interested in getting a inventory of the oil for two SC skis. How much does it run as far as price, what's the best value or size container? You order and have it shipped to us, or u have it all and ship out of your house, or pickup? I'll be up your way in april for a ride on the hudson, so if i wanted to get some amsoil would that be an option?

if ur not doing anything... april 22nd I'm putting together a beginning of season hudson ride from newburgh to albany/troy.... was going to start posting it on a few boards in the next couple days so people can mark teir calendars.

STEVE

Shib,

I sell it to people on my board, SDN, and here for a discount. It's possible if you find a large volume dealer to meet the price I sell it for or a bit less (if they purchase around $7500 at a clip, they get a substantial discount).

I do orders on a one to one basis - everything is shipped directly to your door (unless someone wants to pick it up) and prices include shipping.

Absolutely if you want to stop by you're more than welcome to - I'm about 10-15min from the Newburgh landing. I'll have to check the calendar for 4/22 but I could break out the full suit - been years since I've been in the water that early

I had an old thread with prices for 4tec and 2stroke oil prices a while back, but with UPS rates and oil prices skyrocketing they're probably not good anymore.

And I don't just push Amsoil because I sell it - I make about $1.50 on the average 4tec sale....I could care less. It's just good oil, and good for your engine. Some don't like it for their own reasons....that's fine. I have independent oil analysis results from Blackstone on oil that had 36k miles on it in our Expedition that was still within the acceptable parameters....that was before the new Ea filters too.

As for containers, it only comes in 1qt or 12-1qt packaging unfortunately - other items come in 1gallon or 4-1gal packaging as well. Price is dependent upon how much you buy since shipping small volumes is cost prohibitive...if you're going to pick it up, I can mix it in with one of my orders or a mustang club order and save you significant amounts on shipping.

For those who want to read and make up their own minds :

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports is wet clutch compatible and contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for both two- and four-stroke ATV transmissions. The friction modifier free formulation is designed to prevent clutch slippage, delivering maximum torque and power to the wheels – a critical feature for towing or high-horsepower engines.

I've actually emailed back and forth with their Senior technician regarding BRP's "notice" - I'll try to find the emails when I get home.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information