Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intermittent no start and random "dying" out of nowhere.. XP 800..

Per my sig, it's a 95 XP800, but everything inside is 96 XP800 (electrical box, motor, carbs, pump, etc..)

The problem below has happened to me twice now, I thought it was my battery at first, so it's got a fresh, brand spankin' new AGM battery in it now with clean contacts.

Had it at the lake this weekend and put about 4 hard hours on it, running fine the entire time except yesterday towards the end of the day (heaviest day of riding) it started to act up. You'd be riding along at WOT and it would just die like somone pulled the lanyard. I'd try to restart, just get the long beep and nothing. Pull the key, reseat it, and it would start... then die immediately. Try to start again and one long beep. The couple of times I got it started it up I would get it going again, then back off for a second to idle, and as soon as it got down to lower RPM, it would die. I got stuck for about 3-4 minutes at this point trying to do the key reseating, and that did not help... after about 10 times on and off I finally got it started back up and back to shore. I parked it for the night and this morning I fired it up and it ran like a champ once again..

Any thoughts? Getting stuck on the small lake is no big deal, but here at home in the ocean would suck. It never does it when you first start riding, it's usually after it's been used for a while that day on and off... so it's hard to troubleshoot without getting stuck.

Is it possible to have an intermittently bad lanyard? If it's intermittent that will be tough for the dealer to test I imagine...

+1
    Sounds like your voltage rectifier is going bad.

To test, find the rectifier in the grey box. It's a metal cube with a clear-green top that has four wires (three yellow & one red). The symptoms should clear up when the red wire is unplugged but the ski will not charge the battery.

A new rectifier should be about $60.

I just replaced my rectifier with a brand new unit only 8 hours ago!

Honestly when I'm on the water and this problem occurs, by the time I pull the electrical box and disconnect the rectifier red wire the ski would have started up anyways, so I'm not sure how I could confirm it's the rectifier

+1
    Have you checked the main ground that is attached to the starter. Many of us have moved it up to the rear of the block.

No, I have not checked this ground quite yet. I can add that to my list of things to check out.

Checked with my local dealership and a replacement lanyard is about $42 + tax, no charge on programming it to my ski, which is nice. I'm leaving this as a possible option...

like others said, check your rectifier and all your grounds.

to me it really sounds like a bad ground, id just go ahead and replace your main ground, it wont hurt anything and probably could use replacing anyway.

i doubt its a bad key, it could be a bad dess post...

next time it does it, check to see if your gauges still have power when it shuts off

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Your stator is probably bad, causing the new rectifier to fry too. Ohm it and check your charging volts.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Your stator is probably bad, causing the new rectifier to fry too. Ohm it and check your charging volts.
    You weren't kidding, what are your thoughts on the below??

-------------------------
    I pulled my grounds today to clean stuff up, and pulled my stator plate to check things out, and found these pictures below!!

I added in a picture where two wires in the electrical box look kinda crimped, not sure if that would have caused whatever happened here.

A little background, my rectifer was replaced about 5 ride hours ago.

What could have caused this, looks like an electrical fire broke out, but the ski ran! I had a battery that recently came up "fault" on my charger, could it have caused this?

How about the magnetized to the stator... just metal grinds from the flywheel/starter contact over time?

Looks like I need to replace at least my stator and the pickup, possibly my rectifier again just in case?
    --------------------------------

Just replace that, take spark plug caps and look for corrosion and lube them with electrical conductive grease, and check starter. Also, get the good battery cause those starters even good need a lot of juice.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Nice pics! See where the windings on the stator got hot and turned the epoxy brown from it's original gray color? I've never seen one burn the socket like yours has...do you have the correct size fuses in your MPEM and black box?

The crimped wires didn't cause anything, but try to make sure you don't crimp them again when closing the gray box.

From what I can see you have the old style pickup, which will crack and break. I'd change it just for this reason, even if it still appears good. Replace the stator and rectifier at the same time, new socket and plug, confirm fuse sizes are correct and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 07-09-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information