Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Chick needs advice

Ok - so I got my new wear ring and propeller put in place at a performance shop. They put grease in for it to slide back on the drive shaft - said no need to buy whole new tube. Great

Two questions though:

1) Asked them about the red / blue locktite and they said to just go with what is on there and not worry about adding anymore - Is that correct? Or would it be best to clean the threads - and all and put new on the bolts before tightening?

2) Torque Specs - guy told me that 14-15 pounds on propeller
    and about 20-30 pounds torque on the black outside thing (stop laughing - you all know what I am talking about !!!!)

Does that sound about right on torque specs? Anyone know?

As always - your guys advice is appreciated - thanks guys.

+1
    Sounds like you already know whats right and wrong. First always clean the threads and put NEW loctie on PERIOD!!! Good mechanics know this others.........well you get the point. The torque spec for the impeller is 92 ft lbs. If he didnt do it right dont run it, get it done the right way. It may take you a little more time right now to get something redone the right way but it will take you alot longer and probably more costly to get something repaired that wasnt done the right way the first time. Not sure about the "black thing" if you are refering to the pump or venturi then the torque specs for those are 22 ft lbs. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just drop us a line.

Tom

No - he put the impellor together - they did that right - I just have to put the stuff back on to the bike. First the propellor - whole thing - then the drive shaft thing. But I will use new lock - tite. Didn't sound right to me not to - he was like "oh there is probably enough on there already" - my butt. Thanks though.

+1
    Ok, we have to get on the same page with the terminology first. The impellor and the housing it is in is called the pump. It attaches to the pump support (or pump shoe) with 4 17 mm bolts. Connected to the pump is the venturi which consists of the steering nozzle and reverse bucket (that's the black thing I think you are talking about.) It attaches to the pump with 4 13mm bolts. The steering cable, reverse cable, trim cable and OPAS connections attach to the venturi.

What part of the above are you referring to as the "drive shaft thing"?

Suck my Wake. Im not sure but i think shes refferring to the 4 main pump bolts. I also thought she was talking about the prop and the nose cone when i first read it, but i think shes talking about the pump and the venturi bolts.

The prop it self should be around 90 pounds. I put anti seize on my threads which is a talked about topic but im not having and problems and my prop comes off like butter.

The pump-PumpShoe is around what they said. I think i did 22 pounds to be safe on mine.

I agree, if possible use a compressor to blow out the old loctite out of the pump should and clean the pump bolts and apply a healthy amount of blue loctite.

When I slide the Impellor onto the drive shaft - they put the grease in there to make it slide on easily. But then they told me the torque specs for those bolts should be 14-15 lbs and then the Venturi he said about 20-30 pounds of torque. Does that sound about right?

No - I let them do all the putting the new wear ring on and the propellor and nose cone back together - I wasn't gonna mess that up.

I have a lot of knowledge about cars - now I am learning SeaDoo stuff - so your guys help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will clean off the bolts and put new locktite on there - blue or red - preference guys?

Thanks - Loretta

+1
    Well it sounds like you have a handle on it so far. The pump and venturi torque to 22-23 ft lbs (both of them) and personally I only use the red loctite and have never had anything come loose or had any problems takeing anything apart later but that is my personal preference other opinions will vary

Thank ya kindly. Have a great day.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    do you guys seriously torque your pumps????? and props???? do you know the direction of rotation and the direction of tightening the prop???

installing a prop ain't rocket science... thread it on and make it tight, not snug, tight...

how many people here loctite all the hardware on their pumps? i know i can name a couple hundred people that do not... and i'm sure there's a few hundred dealerships that do not.... a bit excessive in my opinion to sit there torqueing and loctiting venturi bolts and reverse linkages...

aside from the fact that the steering and reverse are ny-locs...

and the venturi has lock washers

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    do you guys seriously torque your pumps????? and props???? do you know the direction of rotation and the direction of tightening the prop???

installing a prop ain't rocket science... thread it on and make it tight, not snug, tight...

how many people here loctite all the hardware on their pumps? i know i can name a couple hundred people that do not... and i'm sure there's a few hundred dealerships that do not.... a bit excessive in my opinion to sit there torqueing and loctiting venturi bolts and reverse linkages...

aside from the fact that the steering and reverse are ny-locs...

and the venturi has lock washers
    I tighten the prop until my elbow clicks, no loctite, I DO use a Torque wrench on the pump bolts though...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information