Newbie needs help

Hi all,

New to forum, and pretty new to skis. I need some help and I am glad I found this place. It looks like there is a wealth of knowledge here. I am little overwhelmed at the moment, so some of the things I need to know can probably be found with a quick search. Like I said, I am little overwhelmed with how much info is on this site.

First, my ski. Actually, it's my father-in-law's, but I am going to be getting very heavily involved with it now. I ride it more than him, and I will be around it more to take better care anyway. It's a 2002 GTX-DI. I have noticed since we bought it, that performance has gone downhill, so if someone can point me to a good thread to begin looking at maintenance to get done, that would be hugely helpful. I also need a good place to look for the necessary parts for maint. I think he MAY have taken it in for the 10 hr. but can't guarantee it, and I KNOW that since then, I have replaced the plugs and that is it. Also where can I find tech bulletins. I was reading some threads about the oil change for SC'ed engines (I know, I don't have one) and thought I better read up on any for our ski.

Second, my reason for seeking this site out. I was riding this weekend and was cruising around at 45 and came to a sudden stop with the engine revving. I limped it home without ever getting above 4000rpms, but it wasn't moving at all. I was about 200 yds from shore. I immediately thought the impeller was bad, so I jumped off and starting reaching in the back (the pump?) and around the cone inside the ski. I pulled out a black plastic, squarish ring with some blue silicone/gasket material stuck to it. Am I right in assuming the impellar is screwed? What am I looking at here? I am pretty mechanically inclined, so I plan to do the work myself. But, I need a little guidance on where to start and where I can find some literature. Should I pick up a SELOC? Where should I look for parts?

I am basically going to take over this ski and I want to get it back on the water for the weekend prior to the 4th with all maintenance caught up and completely repaired. I can't rember if it had 130 or 170 hrs on it.

One more thing. our yellow key broke and quit working, so we are using the white. I have heard that it limits you, but we didn't really see a difference between the two. Could the factory have screwed up and gave us a normal key? How do I go about replacing the yellow? I don't think we have it anymore.

Thanks all,

Jeff

Banned User
    +1
    Welcome to the forum...

Where are you located?

I am in KC. I boat at Lake of the Ozarks, and that is where the ski is stored during the season. Bring it home for winter and brought it home after this weekend for repairs.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    you're going to have to pull the pump to actually inspect it. Don't think there are many major issues with the DI engines you have to address.

go to www.seadoo.com and download an owners manual. It will cover all the necessary maintainance and schedule.

Thank you very much. I will check that out. I am going to get under it tonight, I think. I didn't try to on the ramp, wearing trunks and all.

+1
    Welcome Bad Fish.

Take a pic of what you are talking about. Maybe we can help?

Thread Information