Bad Honda Dealer Experience need info

I was hoping someone had some information on who the Virginia area Honda Watercraft Sales Management was. I would like to address a letter to this person describing the experience. If your interested in details read on.

While the title of this thread won't be much of a surprise to anyone given one their experience at one time or another, the actual details may at least raise an eyerow...

Here is the long version details. I have purchased several Honda 'toys' over the years and have never had an experience like this....

I stopped by a rural dealer on my way from Ashburn, VA to Raleigh, NC avoiding highways. This dealer was quite new (~3 months) I didn't see any watercraft but inquired anyway. A man identifying himself as the sales manager said they were not yet a certified dealer and that it was harder to get a watercraft certification. They were working on it...However, as a service to a customer, he knew someone who had a 2006 Aquatrax that wanted in the neighborhood of $9000. I told him I was ready to write a check then but would be back through town in a week or so and we could work out the details by phone until then. We communicated by phone several times ultimately agreeing on a $8200 price (PWC/cover + trailer) given my inspection to verify the "like new" condition outside of a small blemish on the bumper. He wanted to handle the transaction to, "Help a customer out". We discussed a particular Friday (just a couple weeks ago) that I would come in to pick up the PWC for agreed price and agreed payment methods (check or cc). We agreed that I could pay by a personal check with valid ID or credit card. I didn't arrive until about 5PM and there was some discrepancy about our meeting time but they were open until 6PM. I looked over the PWC thoroughly. I slid underneath to have a look at the hull. I was surprised to see a very messy non-factory looking application of silicon caulk sealer. I questioned the silicon sealant filling the entire rideplate, intake grate crack area. The sales manager said he had no idea of it and they hadn't looked over the machine at all. I looked at the impeller and everything looked OK from what I could see. It had an extended warranty hmmmmm well OK. After checking it out and anxious to hook it up and hall it home we ran into the first sign of trouble. The sales manager who identified himself as the owner after my asking later, said that he hadn't had time to go to the DMV to get the license plate and they were not certified for watercraft or trailers yet so he couldn't license it himself. After a lengthy frustrating conversation I asked him to call the owner and see if I could borrow his good plates and registration for the trailer. I had verified my insurance and was paying for and accepting responsibility for the trailer and PWC. The previous owner had no problem so we move on. The service technician unlocked the hitch clasp lock and helped us connect the PWC/Trailer to my vehicle. The Sales Mgr came out why we were hooking up and asked for my driver license for processing. We did a quick test of lights and pulled the rig around to the front of the store in the parking lot. I went in to the counter where the manager and a couple other employees were. The Sales Mgr mentioned that he had the book and extended warranty but did not have the title as it was being held by the bank. Frustrating but I was willing to let the dealer take my money and sign a detailed bill of sale with witness from his staff and a friend that was with me. He slid the owners manual and warranty across the counter to me. He then mentioned that he had some problems with the deal....What problems, I ask. Well he is taking a personal check and not sure about this. I told him that we discussed this over the phone and things were OK. I offerred the credit card alternative we discussed and agreed on the phone. He said OK but that he would incur a 2% charge when taking a credit card. I didn't feel that it was my problem as we already discussed and agreed on payment methods and ammounts. Well he wasn't going to budge. I told him that I would give him a check and he could cash it Monday morning. If there were any problem, I would also provide a credit card imprint and if there were any problem he could charge my credit card the entire ammount. Then the issue changed to "well if I accept the check I have to run it through the business. That will cost me ~$450" according to the Sales Mgr/Owner. I didn't feel that was my problem. Now the Mgr /Owner just wasn't feeling comfortable with the deal. I expressed my surprise, discontent and dissatisfaction in a polite professional matter. I asked if he was backing out of a deal that we agreed completely on. He to my surprise and frustration said yes I'm backing out. he said if I wanted to cut the deal in his parking lot with the owner personally, he would witness and sign as a witness for the deal. Of course that now opened up a whole new set of issues that would need to be resolved.

Needless to say, I'm very frustrated with the manner in which this supposed Honda dealership owner handled this transaction. He broke a verbal contract and stated so in front of his employees and my friend in his dealership. To be honest, I don't think he owns the business. I would expect a person having the resources to own a Honda dealership not to make such glaring rookie business mistakes. This was the most unbelievable sales experience I have ever had. The Sales Mgr/Owner of the dealership walked out with me to the car and unhooked the trailer. He said he was sorry for wasting my time. I didn't swear or anything like that but I was frustrated and rude commenting that he can't conduct business like that and it was the worst experience I have ever had.

Anyone know Virginia area Honda Sales management or someone I should formally write a letter to Honda?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PropOrJet View Post
    I slid underneath to have a look at the hull. I was surprised to see a very messy non-factory looking application of silicon caulk sealer. I questioned the silicon sealant filling the entire rideplate, intake grate crack area. The sales manager said he had no idea of it and they hadn't looked over the machine at all. I looked at the impeller and everything looked OK from what I could see. It had an extended warranty hmmmmm well OK. After checking it out and anxious to hook it up and hall it home we ran into the first sign of trouble. The sales manager who identified himself as the owner after my asking later, said that he hadn't had time to go to the DMV to get the license plate and they were not certified for watercraft or trailers yet so he couldn't license it himself.
    Thanks!

I hate to hear about your bad experiance. Just to let you know the pump silicone looks real bad from the factory. Pics are from my 06 F12x that I just bought two fridays ago. I will tell you that these are great skis. Not sure what to tell you on this one. As far as the title and DMV stuff on the trailer if you hold a valid VA dealers license then the DMV papper work any dealer can do. Not sure about watercraft. Well if you are ever in the Roanoke aera the local dealer is not worth a darn. But I go an extra 45 mins to Christiansburg, and get great service and alright deals.

ROdney

Attachment 28315 Attachment 28316

Thread Information