+1

RXP Stage I parts shipped , need input!

I bit the bullet, ordered the full Stage 1 kit from PPG. They had exactly what I wanted, I like their plumbing kit, and everything shipped 2 day today. I got the RR I/C, RR ECU, plumbing kit, exhaust power pipe, 158 degree t-stat, and Solas prop. And they had a race waterbox, so I grabbed that too - allows me some flexibility, can change back if its too loud, but I doubt I will. :P

Armin said not to worry about the untouched stock supercharger in my '05 RXP. He said the clutch is better in the '05 and that they have many RXPs running the Stage 1 with stock superchargers. He said if I upgraded to the Vortec impeller, he would then recommend the heavy duty clutch kit.

So, just curious to hear from any Stage 1 (or beyond) owners, esp with '05s ... are your clutches holding up? Any hints or things to watch out for when installing these parts? Sounds like I will have to cut and splice some wires to install the RR ECU on the '05 (bummer!).

Weather is looking crappy in Michigan this week, so I know what I will be doing this weekend!

+1
    If I were you i'd add the Vortech SC impeller. It makes a big difference.
    It also puts LESS stress on your clutch because it's 1 ounce lighter.

But by all means run your kit as is to see how you like it then come back later and upgrade the SC impeller and put in the RR heavy duty clutch.

The 05 clutches are much better than the 04 and include the shim. Run it till it breaks then upgrade to the RR Heavy Duty clutch

Here are the different Rotax Racing kits:

STAGE 1 KIT FOR RXP/RXT, INCLUDES RACING ECU, INTERCOOLER, INTERCOOLER PLUMBING KIT, BILLET INTERCOOLER BLOCKOFF PLATE, 158 DEGREE THERMOSTAT, THINNER HEAD GASKET, OIL PRESSURE JET, SUPERCHARGER SHIMS. +30 HP

STAGE 2 KIT FOR RXP/RXT, INCLUDES RXP1 KIT(except thin head gasket) PLUS RACING CAMCHAIN TENSIONER, LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM VALVE SPRING RETAINERS, AND CYLINDER HEAD MODIFICATIONS (YOUR HEAD) +45 HP

STAGE 3 KIT FOR RXP/RXT, INCLUDES RXP2 KIT PLUS LIGHTWEIGHT PERFORMANCE CAM AND LIGHTWEIGHT CAM SPROCKET. +55HP

You are going to love all that new power!

+1
    Actually, it's my understanding that the 04 and 05 clutches are the same. It's the 03 clutch that had the design flaw and sea doo made an upgrade to it late in 03 and included that in 04 and 05 production skis. I had a faulty clutch in my 03 gtx-sc and had the upgrade done in aug 03.

I think any clutch failures on the 04 is caused by running synthetic oil with friction modifiers, but maybe i'm wrong. I only have 80 flawless hours on my 04 clutch.

+1
    I think in 04 they upgraded to ceramic disks, the 03's were some kind of metal. In 05 they continued to use the ceramic, BUT installed a shim between the spring washers which would put more tension on the clutch disks creating less wear.

+1
    Sorry, my mistake, Stage 1 is more accurate! I edited my post to reflect that.

So far, the info I have is that my stock '05 clutch should be good for awhile. Our Michigan summers are so short, I am usually lucky to get 40 hours on my ski in a summer, so I was planning to run it this summer and then upgrade it over the winter with the Vortec wheel and heavy duty shaft and clutch. Plus, by then, who knows what will be going on/available for the RXP ...

If the consensus was that the stock clutch would likely fail, I would get it done now though, so I can enjoy my summer with little downtime.

+1
    I agree Vern, run your clutch as i think it will be fine.

+1
    Vern, run that sucker until it fails. Who knows, maybe it won't fail and you'll be $175 richer.

+1
    I'm sitting here at work and unable to call in an order. I was going to order the RR I/C, SC impeller, BOV, and plumbing kit with the exhaust piping today.

Did Armin say they had more?

+1
    I think they have more ... I did not ask, but I know they were shipping
    quite a few today - I think the plumbing kits came in / were ready. I know Armin said they only had 1 race waterbox, but I THINK they had more of the Stage 1 kits ...

Thread Information