94 SL 750 and 97 SLT780

I was just passed down 2 skis a 94 SL 750 and 97 SLT 780 from my parents all the kids moved out of the house and they have just been sitting for about three years. I have since got them both started but not running like they should. I have been reading through the forums and have a good idea where I need to go with them. I plan to do all the work myself along with the complete service manual from polaris. Just have a few questions about locating some parts. I have found some parts I am looking for through ebay. I talked to my local polaris dealer and they are not that great to work with so I would rather order the parts else where. Any suggestions. I live in Washington state.

Some early problems on each ski

SL750
    replaced the board in the electrical box water got in and corroded it. My dad said he rebuilt the carbs but hasn't ran in three years since, should I rebuild them or just clean them. I plan on ordering the three outlet pump for it and replace the fuel lines. I took it out on the lake the other night when I got it running and it seemed to run suprisingly well but at WOT after about 1 min it will cut out and shut off before it slows though I can hit the start button and it will fire right up. Would this be a fuel pump problem?

SLT780

It started good but bogs when I give it any throttle I am sure that it needs the carbs rebuilt. My major concern with it though is a knocking at idle. As soon as you get it up around 2000 rpm it goes away. Sounds to me like it is coming from the pump and not the motor. Any ideas on where I should start? I was thinking about just ordering the bearings for the pump and see if that is where the problem is.

Any ideas, suggestions, inputs are welcome I really want to get them both running sound by the 4th of July. Now that I have rode them again for a little bit I have the bug.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by quad2water View Post
    I was just passed down 2 skis a 94 SL 750 and 97 SLT 780 from my parents all the kids moved out of the house and they have just been sitting for about three years. I have since got them both started but not running like they should. I have been reading through the forums and have a good idea where I need to go with them. I plan to do all the work myself along with the complete service manual from polaris. Just have a few questions about locating some parts. I have found some parts I am looking for through ebay. I talked to my local polaris dealer and they are not that great to work with so I would rather order the parts else where. Any suggestions. I live in Washington state.

Jay and Tony at Atlantic Powersports are VERY Green Hulk Polaris freindly. You will get a discount and free shipping on most orders, give them a call. www.atlanticpowersports.com

Some early problems on each ski

SL750
    replaced the board in the electrical box water got in and corroded it. My dad said he rebuilt the carbs but hasn't ran in three years since, should I rebuild them or just clean them. I plan on ordering the three outlet pump for it and replace the fuel lines. I took it out on the lake the other night when I got it running and it seemed to run suprisingly well but at WOT after about 1 min it will cut out and shut off before it slows though I can hit the start button and it will fire right up. Would this be a fuel pump problem?

If it were mine, I'd install the triple outlet pump, replace ALL the fuel lines in the hull and replace the selector valve. Cleaning the crabs and just making sure everything is fresh is a good idea.

SLT780

It started good but bogs when I give it any throttle I am sure that it needs the carbs rebuilt. My major concern with it though is a knocking at idle. As soon as you get it up around 2000 rpm it goes away. Sounds to me like it is coming from the pump and not the motor. Any ideas on where I should start? I was thinking about just ordering the bearings for the pump and see if that is where the problem is.

Can you get us an audio of the noise? Have you lubed the zirk fittings at the carrier bearing assembly on both units?
    Go through the carbs and clean the jets well. Replace the fuel and try it again. Trim the spark plug wires at the orange boots and then screw them back into place.

Any ideas, suggestions, inputs are welcome I really want to get them both running sound by the 4th of July. Now that I have rode them again for a little bit I have the bug.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If you do any carb (not crab Al, LOL) Make sure you count the adj. screw turns and record them for each carb as they are all different.

Thread Information