+1

Ultra 150 over heat

I keep getting the over heat light on the bottom left hand side of the display an the lil warning light keeps going on. But heres the thing, i took it out saturday an it did it in the morning. The i was ideling back the marina an the light went off so i rode it for a lil. It was perfectly fine so i ended up riding it all day. Same thing happined yesterday, took it out, overheated it comming outta the marina, putted around back to the marina, over heat goes off, an i was good all day. I was feeling the motor when the over heat when on an the motor felt fine??? the ski has new electrical. Were is the water intake for the cooling located? could it be clogged. I check the oil resovior for the thermostat an its filled.

The cooling line is on the right side, runs to the cooling log under the cylinders. You might check the connection for the temp sensor. Have you tried running it on the flush hose? try it and see if water is comming out all the pissers. Mine have all been moved to the front that way I know if its clogged the ultra 150 is prone to this.

+1
    Yes on the hose the two pissers by the pump are flowing an the front right pisser takes a lil while to get flowing. Im thinking cloged line. I dont get an over heat on the hose either. I have also heard the cooling system sucks as well.

+1
    It's normal for the front right hull outlet to take a while before it starts to pee when run on the hose. It's a good idea to run all 3 cooling outlets to the front of the ski where they can be monitored. Called a Triple Pisser Mod. The only problem with the cooling system on Ultra 150's after the early 1999 model is the right angle fittings where the cooling water goes into the head. They can clog easily. I use a Groco WSB 750 inline filter/strainer on my Ultra. It will catch weeds and twigs that could clog the cooling lines.

Feel the water coming out of the pissers, if it is warm but not hot the overheat warning is probably an electrical malfunction.

Richard

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    It's normal for the front right hull outlet to take a while before it starts to pee when run on the hose. It's a good idea to run all 3 cooling outlets to the front of the ski where they can be monitored. Called a Triple Pisser Mod. The only problem with the cooling system on Ultra 150's after the early 1999 model is the right angle fittings where the cooling water goes into the head. They can clog easily. I use a Groco WSB 750 inline filter/strainer on my Ultra. It will catch weeds and twigs that could clog the cooling lines.

Feel the water coming out of the pissers, if it is warm but not hot the overheat warning is probably an electrical malfunction.

Richard
    This ski has had so many problem with it. When i got it, the motor had been rebuilt due too a fire. Then last summer i sunk it, water got in the electrical box, an fried it, wouldnt go past 20. Now this. How can i check the sensor, an what should i look for that is bad. Teh last screw up was covered under warrenty. This one isnt.

The book says the sensor resistance should be approx 2759k ohm @ 68 deg to 85.3k ohm @ 212 deg. It can be checked by using a pan of water on the stove and a thermometer. If the sensor is ok it could be a bad connection or the gauge cluster could be bad. When you are running on the hose is there water comming out the large pisser fitting in the back? This is the one for the exhaust system if its clogged then it would cause the sensor to see an overheat.

+1
    The pissers in the transom are flowing perfectly. I did notice that there electrical tape around the black wire going to the heat sensor. It wasnt there last season. Im guessing when they worked on the ski the dealer frayed the wire. Idk if this could be causing my problem. But i figure id tell you guys anyway.

Yep the wire could cause this if water got inside the tape then it could cause corrosion or if they spliced and taped it the connection could be intermitent.

+1
    take the tape off and see what's hidden under it.

+1
    If its frayed im gonna cut it an solder it an srink rap it. Can the frayed wire cause for an over heat tho???

Thread Information