Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very strange running issie...

Yesterday while I was idleing through the no-wake zone I noticed that my GSXL seemed "loaded up" a little more than usual. So I took it easy on it to make sure things were good and warmed up. Started to accelerate a little more and it still wouldn't clean out. Well after a while it seemed to straighten up a bit and accelerated fairly smoothly. Well after cruising a mile or so we stopped for a few, then I cranked it and noticed it was running very rough, tried to hit the throttle a couple times and all it did was bogg and would die at idle if I didn't keep on the gas a little. I could get it going very gradually but no matter how hard I nailed it, it just wouldn't wrap up. Bottom end was very very rough. So at about 35 mph (about all I could get out of it) I could let off the throttle and nail it WOT a few times and it would get on up to well over 50 mph. Then if I let off the throttle for a few seconds it would die. At first I thought the oil pump was stuck open because when I checked the oil it was about a third of the way down, I had just filled it up. It did seem to be smoking a little more than usual. Well I checked the cable and it was fine and it operated fine with the throttle. So basically I am stumped here. I checked the RAVEs for the heck of it and they were fine too. Definatley not a 2 stroke mechanic here, lol. Any ideas here? Thanks!

Sorry, misspelled issue.

Choke sticking on? Pull flame arrestor lid off and verify the choke plates are opening all the way. Maybe the dreaded Tempo grey fuel lines are decomposing and causing your needle and seat to hang open and leak in one or both carbs?

The choke seems to be open. It is a chore getting it to stay choked while I am trying to start it. So the bad fuel lines are gray right? Anyone have any pics of these for more info? Thanks for the help!

Did you check the cable on the oil pump end also? If the cable comes loose there the pump fails wide open. Just filling up the oil tank and being down that low, something is going on.

+1
    You might have already checked this, so I apologize if this was the first thing you already did, but ... sounds very much like fouled plug(s). Two strokes are funny that way ... run great, then suddenly 'got nothing' when the plug(s) foul. If you have not done it, drop in new spark plugs.

I looked at them a little bit ago and they are fairly blackened. I'm not sure if they are enough to be gone though. Might just buy new ones for the heck of it. What should I use in place of the quick connect so I can hook a water hose up to this thing? I have heard of people finding something at a hardware store. Thanks again!

+1
    Looks don't mean much unfortunately ... if there are some hours on the spark plugs, that is the first thing to change on a poor running 2 stroke.

IF you put it 'on the hose' on the trailer to run it a couple minutes, be careful to ALWAYS start the motor, THEN start the water flow. Then SHUT off the water BEFORE shutting off the motor. Deviating from this will get water in the motor ... never good.

Update:
    Well I found a connector at Lowes so I could put it on the hose. If I left the throttle alone it would die. So I found a small allen wrench and wedged in the thumb lever to keep the RPM's up very slightly. Seemed to run okay. I tried the old "put the hand over each carb" to see if it would suck any trash out of them. Of course I shut the water off first. How long is too long to run on the hose? I did notice the valve on the water box was leaking. That can't be good but I doubt it is my problem. Maybe this is a fuel system issue somehow. Any ideas?

P.S. I am going to go get plugs as
    soon as I can

+1
    Have you serviced the carbs? Sounds like crud in the internal filters. Do you have the original fuel lines?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information