Question 95 sl 750 wont rev

my 95 sl 750 would not rev above 2000 rpms, i found water in the tank so i drained it and replaced the fuel pump. it was not starting so i pulled the center spark plug to see if it had spark and it started right up on 2 cylinders. i put new plugs back in it was hard to start, went to the lake and it still wont rev much above idle. i came home pulled the spark plugs and the center one looked like brand new 1 and 3 were normal carboned. i checked compression 1 was 90 2 was 110 3 was 100. i pulled the carbs and checked the reeds and they look ok to me. where do i go from here?

+1
    Hi waverunner, WELCOME to the GREEN HULK Forums.

Are you getting spark to cylinder 2? If not try removing the orange spark plug cap and trimming the wire 1/8-1/4 inch, screw the boot back on to the freshly cut wire and see if you get spark at the center cylinder.

Water doesn't compress, I'd check the crank index to make sure the engine isn't hurt as well.

thanks for the welcome. it seemed to have good sparkwhen it started with the plug out. how do i check the crank index?

compression is pretty low on that motor it should be around 125. Might want to try a fuel carb cleaner to the gas. Make sure on the back label it is an alcohol free cleaner.

i checked the compression withouy opening the yhrottle. does that make a big difference

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    My question would be how did the water get in the tank to begin with? Make sure your filler neck or fuel cap is not cracked. They had a recall on that. Check the water separator above the battery box and make sure the water is out. You could possibly have water trapped in that carb.

+1
    Crank index procedures are in the tech section.
    Like others have stated you will need to dig for some more answers but first make sure the engine is sound before wasting lots of time.

yes the filler neck was cracked and i replaced it. i pulled yhe carbs and there seemed like there was water in the center one compared to the 2 end ones. should i just clean it out and put it back together. would that have prevented fuel from getting through? i dont know much about 2 strokes but i guess if you have 3 jet skis you better learn.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
    i pulled yhe carbs and there seemed like there was water in the center one compared to the 2 end ones. should i just clean it out and put it back together. would that have prevented fuel from getting through? YES
    You will learn quick.

Thread Information