Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Attwood Bilge Blower performance gains

Hi folks,

I did a search on this as it was recently indicated that my idea of adding one of these blowers to one of the air inlets hindered performance instead of helping on the 4-tecs.

My search found that a few have done it, but did not post results...at least that i could find.

I am a bit reluctant to drill an add'l port, however i think i have a little room to increase the size of my current ~3" ports to 4" with custom aluminum/stainless inlet hose fittings. I have an account at an industrial hose distributor and will be going to a smooth bore on all hoses.

I'd be greatful for any professional information on this.

Well.. here's my take on it.
    4" blower is located @ top of intake just below glovebox.Cut & repositioned intake to "dropoff" close to rectifier & 4" hose inlet for SC,but not to close.When turned on,I can feel a "somewhat" of a substancial flow of heat exiting the florites @ the back.Performance gains?..Im sure,but it's kinda hard to measure.I have taken notice that when I beach for 10 /15 minutes & leave it on,it starts up running a higher RPM(20 to 30 maybe) & substains that until I run WOT for an extended time,Then the RPMs will start creeping down slowly.Now when I run without blower alltogether,I will notice a negligable decline in RPMs overall @ startup & WOT.
    But there are so many variables it's hard to pin down a solid opinion,To me,I like the idea of cooler air being introduced to the rectifier/inlet area

You don't want to totally block any inlet with a fan. It will end up being a restriction as the super charger can move the air much faster than the fan. PPG's original Level one kit originally used a 3" fan at the inlet of the stock air box. Unfortuately, I bought one (and it was not cheep), if anything it was worse than stock. I know you are talking 4", but it still won't keep up and will be a restriction. Just use the 4" smooth bore hose, and maybe a K&N filter. You will be glad you did.

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    JTPMedic has one on his RXT and it sure keeps the temps down a lot. The lower the temps inside the engine bay the better performance you will have. How measurable is it....dont know.

Banned User
    +1
    I've installed atwoods in both my RXP and jtpmedic's RXT...On both I mounted them in the rear to SUCK air out, creating a vacuum affect when on...My air intake is 4" with a large filter near the inlet just under the storage box...When the blower is on, you can feel all heat coming from the rear of my seat...

During Mudbug, my fan was ALWAY on...not one time did it heat fade, especially when running WOT for miles, then creeping at a no wake zone, then WOT again...

All you need is one fan, to pull air out...IMO...

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Hey Danny you got install pics of this? I know I saw jtp's but dont remember much....

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT View Post
    Hey Danny you got install pics of this? I know I saw jtp's but dont remember much....
    I don't have pics, but I can shoot some of mine this weekend...

Its just a simple install in the rear vent tube, with extra holes cut in the center bracing...

The wiring is on a relay with a switch, so that the fan is only on when the lanyard touches DESS. Will remain on for 10 seconds after the lanyard is removed...

I've got blowers installed in the front vent and rear vent. The front one blows dirrectly on my 4" intake SS filter, The rear is in-line in the exhaust vent. cannot quantify gains but it does keep fresh air flowing in/out of the hull which has to help some. I did gain about 1 mph when I removed my front storage bin and left the hood cracked about 2 inches. I was very surprised at this. Truly the more fresh air you can get into the sc the better it likes it. Of course we cannot run with the hood open unless it's a controlled test but if we could get more air through the hood it would help a lot.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Is it just me or are we all talking about two different things here? On one hand people are commenting on blowers to push (or pull) the heat out of the engine bay. On the the other hand, people are talking about putting a fan in the engine inlet tube to the SC. Two different animals altogether. I believe the consensus is that a fan to move air into the hull for cooling = good thing. A fan in the air intake that eventually goes to the SC = restriction = bad thing.

Just trying to clarify....

Banned User
    +1
    yea, a fan should not be placed anywhere in the PATH of the intake charge for the SC....

forcing fresh air in is good...
    sucking hot air out is good...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information